Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among other problems with out high school 351c project, we could not get the stock starter to bolt in so we bought a PMGR starter. Everything seemed fine last week. (Though it was a bit loud sounding) Then when we went to start it today we could head the starter spinning freely and not engaging. We took it out and put it back and it did the same thing. I rotated the engine a bit and then it cranked. But then upon investigation, the starter gear was still extended and engaged on the flexplate and I'm having a hard time getting it to retract.

Is there a way to shim these things? I know it is normally a chevy procedure, but obviously it is not lining up correctly.

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Does the Cleveland have the same issues with the flywheel vs. flexplate starter issues that the Windsor has?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just realized that our block spacer seems to be damaged and missing from where the starter bolts in??? 🤷‍♂️

So the starter is just bolting straight to the bell housing without the spacer.

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
Just realized that our block spacer seems to be damaged and missing from where the starter bolts in??? 🤷‍♂️

The last two repro block plates I've bought, both had fitment issues with the starter. The first one I couldn't even get the starter in! This was after the engine in and everything bolted up. I had to take a small 90° air grinder with a bur bit and open the plate. The last one I got the starter in but holy cow did it grind! I thought I ruined a few teeth on my new billet flywheel. Had to get back under the car and grind it open, works fine.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts

That could cause the problem you're having.

Same deal. "Automatic" (3268) starter for the 157-tooth flexplate/flywheel, "Manual" (3241) starter for the 164-tooth flexplate/flywheel.
3241 is for the 164 flywheel only, flexplate uses same as the 157 - 3268

1 - 7 of 7 Posts