Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Fastback running a Cleveland 4v with a toploader. My problem is whenever I hit 3000 RPM I hear a screach sort of sound coming from my car similar to a belt slipping. It starts at 3000 and ends at 3100rpm. My tranny is pretty loose, and it could probably use a new clutch. I'm going to put a Tremec in it soon as soon as I collect enough cans /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but I digress.
My car also has AC, but is currently not charged. I cannot pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Maybe throwout bearing? When the clutch is out, the throwout bearing should not touch the fingers. Lots of guys forget the return spring, or adjust it too tight and it spins all the time.

If its not that, I'd take the alt belt off and see if it does it, maybe you are losing a bearing or bushing in the alternator

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Duplicating condition with car on stands while you listen underneath should help to pinpoint location...

I agree with possibility of throwout bearing failing or maladjusted...

Try removing all accessory belts and running engine briefly to verify accessories are not responsible for noise...

Get back to us...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts