Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a 429 at a reasonable price. How much work is needed in doing the conversion from 351 Cleveland to 429? Are the engine mounts interchangeable? Bell housing? It'll be a T-5 or C6 not sure yet.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm guessing if a 351C is in there now it's probably a '70-'73 Mustang...right?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
A 429 will tear up a t5 pretty quick unless it's just light duty cruising. You will need engine mounts, Boss 429 versions although I think there is a Lincoln about the same year that used those mounts, headers, the stock exhaust might fit but you won't know until your dropping it in, I think Crites makes the parts, and a short 429 water pump, 69 T-bird 429 IIRC. Yes, you will need to reinforce the towers, and a set of new springs is in order as your adding a couple hundred pounds to the front.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I'll get the "It's your car and you should do what you want" crap out of the way, and then ask why in the world would you want to do this? A 70 Mach is a very desirable car, the Cleveland gives a very good power to weight ratio, and a 429 would detract from its value. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
bighorse said:
I'll get the "It's your car and you should do what you want" crap out of the way, and then ask why in the world would you want to do this? A 70 Mach is a very desirable car, the Cleveland gives a very good power to weight ratio, and a 429 would detract from its value. Just my $.02.
Ditto...

If you want more power, take the money you would drop on the 429 installation and make a stroker (408) out of the 351 Cleveland. Same power level, less weight, stock look, no crappy aftermarket swap parts to install.

Besides, a 429 is a mofo to work on in a 70.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hemikiller said:
bighorse said:
Ditto...

If you want more power, take the money you would drop on the 429 installation and make a stroker (408) out of the 351 Cleveland. Same power level, less weight, stock look, no crappy aftermarket swap parts to install.

Besides, a 429 is a mofo to work on in a 70.....

hmm. i see what your saying. I need to rebuild the 351 anyway so I might as well go for the stroker kit and use it in the rebuild. Any stroker kits I should absolutely stay away from?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Since the 429 engine was not introduced in the Mustang until 1971 (in a body that was designed to accomodate it) you'll encounter many problems.
The 385 series engines (429/460) are even bigger and heavier than the FE engines (390/428). Probably not a good swap.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That site doesn't work.

The only reason I wanted the 429 was that it was going to cost me 650 and that was with the C6.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Not sure why the link does not work but you can call them at:

Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.
301-246-9225

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
dodgestang said:
Stay far away from Speedomotive out in CA
What's wrong with Speedomotive? They were great with my parts. I had no complaints at all with their service.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Reverb said:
That site doesn't work.

The only reason I wanted the 429 was that it was going to cost me 650 and that was with the C6.
But how long until IT needs a rebuild? :thumbup: / :thumbdown:

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Rickmaan said:
dodgestang said:
Stay far away from Speedomotive out in CA
What's wrong with Speedomotive? They were great with my parts. I had no complaints at all with their service.
The faxed the wrong head cc specs to ross who then made the piston to the incorrect specs so my compression was off. I ended up eating all the costs and they refused to even replace the piston with correctly milled pistons. I'm sure they are a great company to work with when everything goes right but they have piss poor customer service and are real arsehats on the phone and in general when they screw up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts