Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I've had a Torker II manifold for my 351c 4v sitting in a box for years. While we had the motor apart I thought I'd just set it on top to see how it looked. Unlike the stock manifold that sits flush against the head, the torker drops down flush with the Valley and there is about a 3/32 gap on one side (if you butt the other side up flush). And gaskets do not seem to make up for this. What gives? It is aluminum, could it have warped some over the years? If I bolt it in, do you think it would fit? I guess I could try bolting it on without gaskets and just see how it looks.

My heads and block have not been machines. Not has the manifold.

·
Registered
429 Posts
what's the part number on the intake manifold?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed that it is even worse when you have the rubber valley gasket installed.

All that said, I can stick with the stock manifold, but this just baffles me.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I just noticed that it is even worse when you have the rubber valley gasket installed.

View attachment 736146 View attachment 736147

View attachment 736146 View attachment 736147
What machining has been done to the block and heads ?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I torqued it down without a gasket and I'm thinking, for whatever reason, this manifold will not work...

Could it be that the block or heads were machined at a previous date? I also bought the manifold off of Ebay 10 years ago. It was open, but not used.... maybe they knew of the problem...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So, I torqued it down without a gasket and I'm thinking, for whatever reason, this manifold will not work...

Could it be that the block or heads were machined at a previous date? I also bought the manifold off of Ebay 10 years ago. It was open, but not used.... maybe they knew of the problem...

View attachment 736149
Yes, yes, or yes.
That’s what I’m thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Yes, yes, or yes.
That’s what I’m thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before you buy another manifold, be aware that it won't fix the problem if the misfit is due to the block/head. It's not unheard of for the manifold to need milling to fit, they also make thicker intake gaskets that will help in some cases.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,283 Posts
Just a crazy idea, do you have a 351m? Isn't it a taller deck height? Not an expert on these 351c/m engines so excuse me if im way of base.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I’d say it’s more likely the manifold was milled, how thick are the intake gaskets? You might be able to find some that are thicker to help alleviate that issue.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, my stock intake fits fine, that's what we just bolted on. I'll assume the torker was milled... which is too bad... I'd need some pretty thick gaskets to make up the difference. like 1/8"

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

You have options. And while I don’t recommend it I have stacked 2 Together when I needed to get something going....

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
a) Are you using the valley pan?
b) Are your heads 4V or 2V and, if 4V is your current intake a STOCK 4V intake because the Torker II 351C will NOT fit 2V heads.
c) It'd have to be machining of the intake as milling of the block deck or head face would cause the gap to be too SMALL, not too big, even if the heads were severely angle-milled they'd still be tight on the bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts