Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
351 Clevelands first came available in 1970 and used through 1973. Both 2-barrel and 4-barrel versions were available. My guess is that you'd probably want a '70 through '72. I don't know that the '73s were much different, but more government emission standards were added on for the '73 model year.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Didn't they also come on the 69 Mach's???
Yea - did they or didn't they. I always thought that '70 was the first year but a local mustang shop said '69 M code Mach's had them. I thought that the M code in '69 was for a 4 barrel windsor, not a 351c. What's the truth??

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Clevelands were available in 1970-1974 cars in the US and up to around 1980 in Austrailia.

Clevelands were NOT available in 1969 mustangs.

It's a shooting match when it comes to best year. As I understand it, the closed chambered 4V heads were in the first two years......which means yes, the 351 cobra jet had open chambered heads as it was later than the 1971 boss351.

Most experts believe the 4 bolt main blocks are unecessary as they arent really any stronger.....of course, a Cleveland block upgraded with Milodon 4 bolt caps probably is...as is any Cleveland with the steel girdles available ($$$$).

Plunking down major dinero for a genuine boss351 is probably a gamble at best since Ford made some of them with regular Cleveland blocks, etc. and since it's heads arent any better than regular closed chambered 4V heads, why bother?

OK...flame away.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i think the 69 mach's were equipped with W's not C's....although you always hear alot of ppl thinking or saying they did have C;s..

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If a 4v is what you want a 70-71. A 2v it doesn't matter 1970-1974.They came mostly in mustangs, cougars, torinos, and montego's. For some reason the full size cars seem to mostly be 351W's. Now if the t-stat housing mounting point raises from the area infront of the distributor you have a 351M or 400 and should be avoided for your application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts