Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the hell is a 351M, alright heres the story, me an my dad have a new project, our 67 fbk, its a c code, will it fit a big block or is an s code a little bigger in the engine compartment, well anyways, my dad found a junker car thats about to be auctioned off, he thinks for about 50 to 75 bucks he can get it, it has a 400 of the 351M family, he found an article on the net telling how to make one a supertorker, bore it, beefier cam, etc. basically everything we did to my 289, but id rather wait for a 427,428, or 429. does anyone know anything about this enginnnne and if they are anygood, more importantly, would u put it in a 67 fbk. thanx

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forget it! with enough time and money you can make anything work. What it would take
to make that motor into a winner for your fastback would drain your soul. If you want
to torture yourself find a SOHC 427 or an Indy 500 motor. At least when you were done
you would have something worth the effort. If that motor is worth anything sell it.Use
the money on a Windsor family something or other. For 30 years the bow tie people have
had such an advantage over us because of parts availabilty for that chev small block.
We have it all over them now because there are so many 289-302-351's out there. Take advantage
of this bounty!!!! My 2 cents.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
427 is mega dollars and the 428 will be in the big bucks range. The 400M can be made into a big torque motor,But you would be better off building a 429/460.

Greg B

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are these M engines so unpopular? I see a fair amount at salvage yards so getting one doesn't seem like a problem. I don't have any experience with them but understand that the blocks are similar to clevelands. Wouldn't a swap of some cleveland parts net a potent engine?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The 351M is basically a de-stroked FE. They have plenty of power, but not very fast. It would take too much money to make one worth putting in a Mustang, IMHO, at least considering the other options available.

The 351M is a great truck motor. I had one in my '80 Bronco, and I pulled a dump truck out of mud with it. I wouldn't put one in a Mustang, though. Just like the 351W is a great Mustang motor, but makes a lousy truck motor. My '81 Bronco has a 351W in it, and it sucks!

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The venerable 351 C (cleveland) was replaced by ford with a taller block version; the 400.
There was no 400 FE or 400 windsor so the motor is called the 400 not the 400 C. It is a cleveland type motor. There was an oil crunch that happened about a week after the tooling
was changed over. Dealers were calling for smaller motors and cars and trucks were rusting in
the showrooms. Armed with the best engineers Ford could find they rigged up a 351 inch displacement
version of the 400 with, funny rods and pistons ect called the 351M

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts