Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for pick your brains for information about the 351 Q code engine. My son Chris has a 72 Mach I and he's gathering information about his car for a magazine article. Every book and magazine we look at has different information about this engine.. as well as other info about this year car. Is it considered a HO or a Cobra Jet. The papers from Ford say Cobra Jet. The air cleaner on the engine say 351 4V. So Guys.... tell me what you think....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mariska on 04/20/01 08:59 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, I am not familiar with this engine. I know about the 351C and the 351W and also even the 351M but I can't say I have heard of the 351Q. Are you talking maybe about a Q code? When you say its a 351Q, did you get the letter Q from the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? I am sorry I could not be of more help, but I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable then myself will help you out.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the engine is a 351 Q code.... missed that when I typed the post.

Happy to see that I moved up to a tire kicker instead of a newbie!!!!! Ü<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mariska on 04/20/01 09:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The 73 "Q" code is considered a 351 Cobra Jet. The "HO" is a 72 "R" code engine (detuned Boss 351 engine). Both were 351 4v engines.

Rich
1966 GT Convertible

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
In a 72, the Q-code is just called the 4V. In 71 it was referred to as the Cobra Jet, but in 72 it was detuned a little more (as were all the engines), along w/ the dropping of the CJ name. The HO in '72 was the R-code, derived from the solid lifter 4V that was the Boss 351 in 71 (which was also an R-code engine), it came w/ a air cleaner badge that said HO.

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
blah

-Jason

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Funny, I owned a '72 with a factory-described 351 CJ!

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sorry, but gotta go w/ everything I've read... You're welcome to show me anything you have, if you can prove it you've got yourself a follower, but everything I've read, from fomoco.com to my 72 facts guides to MM points the other direction w/ no mention of an engine dubbed the CJ, so have to go w/ what I've seen w/ my own eyes, not saying that I wouldn't change my mind if someone proved it to me.

-Jason

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I got the car from the original owner in late '81. With the time that has passed since I sold the car off I can't recall the specific documentation that said CJ. I thought it was on the air cleaner decal and in a service manual I got with the car. The car is no longer local; last I heard, it was on it's way to Canada. When I finally get settled (I'm moving) I'll see what I still have on the matter. Later, Jason.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts