Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 351w and I wanted to do a 427 stroker build but the more I learned about it the less compfortable I felt about it. So I decided to do a .030 over bore with a 4” stroker instead. I also wanted to do domed pistons so I got some with .150” solid dome. I want to have 225cc heads do y’all have any recommendations? I also have no idea what kind of head gasket to put ether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Is this going to be a race engine? Your compression is going to be up there with a stroker and domed pistons. I went with truckflow heads but those wont work without the tf pistons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I don’t really plan to drive it on the street all that much. Mostly just on the strip.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You need to decide on heads before picking a piston. Out of the box pistons come in about any configuration you could need. you can get them in any compression height to get your ideal engine. You base your piston off the cylinder head chamber volume, valve layout etc. Will you need large valve reliefs in the piston ? a lot a variables to figure out, one detail at a time.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You're going to want around .600 lift with a roller cam. That means you're going to want a decent piston with valve clearance. Try not to reinvent the wheel here. What you desire has been done a million times. Research it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you are doing a 408 and you stated you want a 225cc head, this is a great start. you can pick from several manufactures, AFR, trickflow, dart, RHS, keep in mind trickflow heads require special piston to clear the unique valve placement. What price range are you looking to be at for cylinder heads ? The price is where you start lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts