Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 302 in my coupe. I'm converting to SEFI and need to obtain the HO or 351 style firing order. Can I just change the camshaft that I have now and put in a 351w cam and lifters?

If so is the cam swap as simple as that or will I need other parts to use a 351w cam and lifters in a 302?

Second question: what gaskets will I need to change the cam? Intake, waterpump, timing cover, oilpan? Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks

BTW - It will be a non-roller, hydraulic flat tappet since we are talking an older 302 (1969 vintage).

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
Simple as swapping cams and re-routing spark plug wire. Late model 5.0's used the 351W firing order. Why can't you swap the wiring for the injectors to match the old cam firing order?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The lifter bores in a roller block are longer, to accomodate the taller height of a factory roller lifter. For this reason, you cannot simply drop in factory roller lifters into a non-roller block like what you have. You have to go with the retro-fit lifters, which are sized for the non-roller block lifter bores. You also have to tap the two oil drain holes in the valley of the block to hold down a "sypder" which keeps the roller lifers from rotating in the lifter bores. As for the cam, I have no idea whether the journals of the cam as the same diameter as the 302 or the length would fit the 302 block. Since, as others pointed out, the 5.0 EFI cam has the firing order of a 351, why risk fitment problems with a 351 cam when the 5.0 is readily available and will fit? You can buy a front of the engine gasket kit which has all the gaskets you need - timing chain gasket, front oil seal for the timing chain cover, water pump gasket. YOu will need to pull the intake to get the lifters out, so you need gaskets for that and also for the thermostat housing. Probably easiest just to get a top end gasket set, particularly if you are going to pull the heads at the same time for whatever reason you come up with.

good luck

good luck.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Older, non-roller 289/302/351W cams are interchangeable; and the lifters (hyfraulic or solid) are the same among the engines. Just change the firing order at the distributor to the appropriate cam.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,835 Posts
You can buy a "cam swap" gasket kit from folks like Summit. I just buy intake gaskets and a timing cover set from the local parts store. The timing kit will come with the end seal and two little corners of the oil pan gasket which often gets torn when you pull the cover. The "corners" work just fine with a dab of RTV sealer to keep them in place. I stick them to the oil pan first and let them set a bit. When I get ready to put the timing cover back on I then use sealer on their tops. Having wet sealer there helps you slide the timing cover over them instead of knocking off the pan. RTV when just applied makes a good grease. For a few minutes anyway. Sometimes these kits won't have the exact water pump gasket need in it. No big deal, just annoying to discover 10 minutes after the store closed. The correct gasket will be cheap. The kits I use are FelPro brand.
If your engine has any amount of miles on it, plan on seeing a surprising amount of play in the timing chain. Regular replacement timing chain sets loosen up surprisingly quickly. Now would likely be a good time to go with a quality roller chain. Of course you'll want to hold off spending money until you see exactly what's in there now, you might already have a healthy roller chain.
You can put in any 351W or 302 flat tappet cam you like, as long as it has the correct 351W firing order the SEFI ECM needs. I personally have tried the "swap the injector wiring around" and it didn't fool the computer at all. In my case I HAD to pull the non-HO cam and put one in with an HO firing order. Ran great as soon as I did.
I might suggest keeping the engine "carbed" for a while longer. Cam break-ins can be a pain anyway. It's a lot easier to break one in with an engine that you know runs good. After it's broken in, then start your EFI install. If/when you have problems getting it all sorted out at least you'll KNOW the cam is OK. With regular points or Duraspark ignition, just swapping spark plugs around to match the cam's firing order is all you have to do for the engine to run just fine. A little extra trouble and gasket expense but it's always good to minimize potential gotchas in a big project, if you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts