Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know how far you can safely cut a 351w crank. The one in my coupe was cut to 10 under on the rods, and 20 under on the mains. I am doing anouther rebuild on it and there is a little scoring.[not a lot, tiny bit] can this be cut more? I know the mains are huge for the size of the motor, but is 30 under to much? Or should I be looking for a new crank.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Although it's not commonplace now with the proliferation of stroker cranks, in the past I've seen W cranks have the rod journals offset ground from the stock 2.311" size to 2.125" to increase the stroke by 3/8". I can't recall the size but builders once ground them to SBC sizes too, in that general range, to use Chevy rods...

.030 should be no problem, strength-wise...W's have big journals; 3.00" on the mains and 2.311" on the rods. As a comparison, the Cleveland crank has 2.749" mains and 2.311" rods.

IME, the critical factor, at least in racing apps, is ensuring adequate oil flow to cool the bearings at high speed. I open up the bearing clearances (actually, the crank grinding vendor does it to my specs) to allow more oil to flow through the bearing spaces.

In your application, I anticipate no problems whatsoever...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts