Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how much taller my 351W will be than my stock 289. What I need to know is the difference in the dimension from the crank centerline to the bottom of the intake manifold.

I know how tall various manifolds are. I know how much clearance my current engine has. With this dimension, I can calculate how tall various 351W combos will be before ordering any parts.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found one site that said the 351 was 1.5" taller than the 302. The numbers seemed awfully "round", so I was looking for confirmation.

Mustangs Plus says their '67 Shelby hood will get me 2" more clearance. That's not much considering that the intake alone will probably be that much taller than stock...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Measuring directly on the front of my 351W block (which unfortunately is still mounted on my engine stand instead of being a complete motor) the distance you asked for is 10". If it helps any, my 351 RPM intake measures about 5" tall from the front seal lip to the top of the carb pad. Different intakes will have different heights, and 351 intakes are also taller than the same 302 intake so take that into consideration also when comparing these measurements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts