Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now don't think too badly of me, but....when I was re-assembling my 351W, I did not know what that round, two piece thing was for that was bolted to the front end of my old cam. So I just put it back on like it was and went on with the business of assembling the windsor. It wasn't until I installed the new fuel pump that I realized that the round, off center thing actuates the pump arm. Here is my question, how much force does the fuel pump arm place on this thing? It has been knawing away at me at night now that I am getting closer to putting the engine back in because I am afraid I did not tighten the bolt enough (I just can't remember). I don't want to have the engine in the car and the thing slip because I was too lazy to break the engine back down prior to putting it back in the car. Should I worry, would ya'll break into the engine, put some loktite on the bolt, and re-paint everything, or do you think it is probably OK.

ssscode

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it were my motor, and I had any doubts at all about if I had
it, or any bolt, not torqued right, I'd take it apart.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

·
Registered
664 Posts
Also remember that the bolt holds the cam gear on as well. I'd take it apart and retorque it . I usually torque them to 35-45 ft. lbs.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
The cam dowel should come through the timing chain sprocket and
enter the secondary hole in the pump actuator. If you gave it a normal
torque it may be OK but if you have any doubt, Better now than later.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it apart!! you'll be happy you did in the long run!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I were you, I'd give it a little loc-tite jobby instead of just retorquing it.

67 FB GT S-code
4-speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts