Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a person needed headers for a '65 with a 289, but with plans to eventually convert to a 351W, would 351W shorties work with the 289? I know that they will bolt up, but is there clearance? Please only answer if you know the answer.
Thanks,

Jim Vogel
Tallmadge, Ohio

http://beta.freepichosting.com/Sites/12217.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Jim, I converted 302 headers for my 351w install years ago (before there were many other options available) and they will interchange. The problem you might find is that when you go to the wider engine the pipes under the car will need to be farther apart (particularly if an 'h pipe' is used).
There indeed may be clearance issues with some components on your car although my car is all manual and this would be pretty much an out of the box proposition if we were trying this on my car with the old SBF.

...........Bill

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
ya, they'll work. In my fastback normally, I've got a 351W, except for now. I've had to do a little work to the motor, so I put back in, temporarily, my hot little 302. I don't have shorties, but long tube headers. Everything bolted up just fine. You won't have any problems with the exhuast hitting anything. Just make sure that when you have the exhaust put in that they know with the windsor, the exhaust will be raised up about an inch.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

1 - 3 of 3 Posts