Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will headers off of a 351w fit onto a 302? I have been fighting the 351w. I spent about $1300 on the rebuild on it and can not get the distributor problem resolved. I am going to yank it for now and put a 302 into it. I have a fresh 302 laying around. If I did not I would still try resolving this problem. I have been missing alot of car stuff with this problem I just need to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
They will physically bolt to the heads, but the 351 is a taller and wider engine so if your headers are designed specifically for the 351w in your year car they will hang a little lower than intended. However, there are several header companies that list the same part for both 302 and 351w engines so it's hard to say if your headers will fit or not. Your best bet is to look up your header at the manufacturers web site or in their catalog and see if they have different part numbers for the 2 engines.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The headers will fit the engine, it's the shock towers you have to worry about. In your case, going from the wider engine to the narrower one, you should be fine there, though. If you have an H or X pipe, it won't work, as you won't be able to bolt the pipes to the headers once they're bolted to the 302.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts