Vintage Mustang Forums banner

351W Hood Clearance Issues

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  FRANKSTER 
#1 ·
I'm putting a windsor in my 68 fastback. Will I have hood clearance problems with the taller manifolds (edelbrock vic jr. or performance rpm air gap)? I am also using a short shelby style hood (67 style). I don't want to have to drop the air cleaner and restrict air flow.

#2 ·
Yes you will depending on the air cleaner used. On my mach (not sure if the engine bay is taller) i have less than 1/2" clearance from the top of my air cleaner to the underside of the hood. My manifold is a dual plane Hurricane model (cheapo Professional Products) but is taller than the edelbrock performer intake. My air cleaner is not very tall either as can be seen from my signature pic.

#3 ·
I would use an aftermarket open element filter. Probably a K&N about 2" thick. Do you know the height of your manifold. Looks like the carb mount height is 4.8" on the edelbrock manifolds.

#4 ·
Edit to my previous post, my manifold is the Typhoon and the manifold height is 5.12" and they describe it as "180° dual plane high rise intake manifold". I guess 0.3" isn't much difference eh? I'm using an edelbrock carb and the air cleaner from the top of the carb to the top of the lid is roughly 3-4"

#5 ·
I have a 351W in my 68 Fastback, I'm running the Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a drop base air cleaner and a Shelby fiberglass hood. If I didn't have the 67 style shelby hood with a scoop I think the air cleaner would hit the hood (or be real close). If I open my hood and get down to look from the side of my car over the fenders I can see the lid of the air cleaner is above the fender line by about an inch, I never tried a non-drop base air cleaner so I don't know if one would fit. While I was at the engine dyno I checked to see if my drop base air cleaner had any impact on my horse power, it dropped the HP by one, not enough for me to worry about.

#6 ·
Right now, this is the same thing I'm worried about. I figure it's best to plan this stuff out in advance.

Also my girlfriend is questioning why I would need a larger engine than the 302 I was looking at. I tried to explain to her compression but she said it must "a Mustang thing".

#7 ·
only if you put a carb on top of the intake :lol:

With a Wieand stealth (just barely taller than a Performer RPM or Air Gap), the only way I could put an air filter on top of the Holley is to use a drop base, with a 2" filter, and even with that, I had to take my 1/2" spacer back off, as it was contacting the hood of my '69. I'm using the K&N extreme flow lid to offset any negative effects of the drop base.

#8 ·
with the stock air breather on my 351w with a turning signal hood on my '68. It is close but it fits. I don't currently have any spacers between the intake and carb... Don't think I could.

#9 ·
I bought a Performer RPM Air Gap but had to return it (too tall). Now I'm using a regular Performer RPM, no spacer, Street Avenger 670, and a drop base air cleaner. I shortened the mounting stud and bent down the wings of the wing nut to prevent contact with the turn signal hood.

#11 ·
Just another voice to the hood clearance dilema: I am doing exactly what you are right now ... 67 Fskbk, 351W, Edelbrock Air Gap RPM - and have about 1/16" clearance, using the lowest drop base I could find (1 3/4) and initially the smallest air filter I could find (2 1/4" K&N) with K&N extreme top. The drop base didn't initially FIT (just like the drop-base instructions said it wouldn't) - contact with the carb choke assembly. Nothing that a ball peen didn't fix - - not kidding.

But I don't LIKE it. Temp changes, a slam of the hood could result in a dented hood, other bent/ cracked carb/ filter assembly issues... and even more $.

I then tried Summit's 2" air for another 1/4" - doesn't fit the base - OR the K&N Extreme - unless you trim it. AND I tried the Summit flat-top (copy of K&N Extreme-top)because it is flat instaed of coned like the K&N. Well - it's considerably THICKER too. Both are going back (the 2" and the Summit "Extreme" copy)

AND - looking at the cross secion with that drop base, with a 2" filter - the carb would be sucking through about a quarter-inch ring. Like breathing through a nice fat ... PINCHED ... straw. The K&N Extreme top helps of course, but a call to their tech resulted in stern advice of "at least" 1" clearance for benefit.

I had to buy a(nother) new hood and get rid of the other new (nice blinker - bummer) hood I just bought. There is my advice - and please pardon the LENGHTHY explaination. I am buying a '67 Shelby-like fiberglass hood - will give me the 1" - 1.5" I need. Don't know who makes a GOOD one - have been advised Fibergalss Specialties in LV. Anyone hear about their stuff?

F

PS - if you are running Edelbrock Performer RPM heads - wait till you get to the headers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.