Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm a high school shop teacher and some of my advanced kids are hoping to build a high(er) performance 351w. We've got a bunch of heads sitting about and we don't know which ones we want to use for our motor.

The goal is to make as much hp as possible, probably a 4500-5000rpm peak hp, and my stipulation is that we're under a tight budget. This project is for some advanced students and it is meant for them to learn on, so we'll probably do a lot of labor intensive things, with the hope that these kids learn something.

We've got some Sioux valve equipment and the idea was tossed around of putting larger valves in. We will have them port the heads (mildly, more for experience than anything else)

Anyway, here are our heads-

e7te-pa-
d80e-ab
d70e-dc
and some 289/302 heads.

If we wanted to try to put some 194 Chevy valves in and then unshroud and port the head, which would be the best candidate?

We also have a lot of blocks to choose from, a 71, a 85, and a couple more I think. I think the 71 is our best bet...

Any thoughts on the heads?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'll add that we have a complete 1969 2v 351w from a mustang. We originally were not going to use it, but I think we probably do better just using it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your C9 or D0 heads will be the best factory heads. If any work needs to be done on them, like adding hardened exhaust valve seats, valve guides or valves, I would look at a set of used cast iron aftermarket heads like World products SR heads or similar. The 69 (C9) heads should do the job as long as it gets done before 5K rpm's

The 69-72 blocks are stronger but use a 9.480 deck heigth. Later blocks are 9.50 deck.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
As long as you have the slave labor, reworking the C9/D0 heads would be your best bet. Pick the set with the smallest combustion chamber.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
IMO reworking is a big part of the learning. Machining and installing hardened valve seats and maybe porting the heads would be a good experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You might look at installing 1.90 Intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. (Chevy) The heads will breath better. Upon doing the porting of the Ford heads just stay away from grinding on the exhaust port floors. They are thin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can probably get alot of good parts for a 351w in your local craigs list adds. But definitely porting the heads would be the best budget option. You could also port match the intake which ever one you use. Preferably an aluminum one. Maybe invest in some ARP hard ware to button the block back together?

Im sure you know all that stuff already though being a shop teacher, thats cool that you would actually get on here to see what would be best bang for the buck on a student build, Im sure your students will learn a ton from this.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I try my best, and I always like to throw my projects on the boards. Though I teach shop, there are some vets on these boards that will forget more than I'll ever know...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts