Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be required to drop a 351w into my 68 mustang
coupe. Would i need to modify anything i.e. shock towers,frame on so on. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If it was a v8 car the swap is fairly painless. One of the changes being exhaust. A number of companies(hedman,hooker,Jba) make swap headers for just that. You will need a new H or X pipe because the Windsor is wider. Then you might need to get new brackets for accessories. Some other things may need to be swapped like oil pans but that is a function of the year and donor of the Windsor.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it curently has a 289 v8 but I think it was previously a inline 6 the guy I bout it from droped the 289 in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well let me try this again the car I'm rebuilding is a original 68 coupe inline 6, the one with the 289 in it is a parts donor car. the inline 6 has a beter body and is already set up for a manual trans. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I want to put a 351w stroker in it but if I can fit a bigger engine with not too many mods I would like to do that, whats the biggist posable to stuff in there? Any sugestions on combs to put in this car? Time and money is not a problem!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
If money is not a problem then go 460 and punch it out to 514. As for a trannie I think you break any manual out here except maybe the viper spec T56 6 speed. You would probably have to have some adapters made to hook them together. You can get out your checkbook send many, many benjamins to ford racing. Then check these guys out to shoehorn the thing in that engine bay. Changing the plugs sure looks fun/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Anything is possible it is just a question time and money.

Now back to reality the most streetable, biggest bang for the buck, easiest to accomplish is probably the 393 stroked 351 windsor. Parts availability is great for that family of engine thanks to the 5.0 crowd. Then back it up with a tremic tko and you will have killer drivetrain. Get a 9 inch 3.55 ratio rear limited slip differential with and 31 spline moser or strange axles and you have the driveline worked out. Figure on spending 7-10 grand for that driveline depending on how much you can do and any bargains that can be found.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do the 460 thing. You will never regret it.....use the C6 automatic transmission, ot go with the TKO 5 speed....that's all you need...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've got a 351W in my 67 Clone. You will not be required to modify anything to drop that engine into a 68. The 351W is a small block engine so it will go anywhere a 289 will go. Go for it and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts