Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks...I know I buried this question in another thread today, but I have a 351w out of a 90's bronco that I want to eventually put in my 68 Mustang. Of course, I know I'll need a carburetor and intake, and I'll need to plug any smog holes. What about the brackets for the alternator and all that? What should I use? Also, should I use 302 motor mounts? I want to use a T5 for a transmission...will this work? Any other advice would be helpful as I want to start gathering parts.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm not as familiar with the '90's 351w's as I am the early and '80's ones. If the '90's one is similar to the '80's, you will want to toss the distributor and dampner, and use ones for use with an early engine. In the '80's, they used optical distributors. Timing is controlled completely by the computer, and there is no adjustment even possible at the distributor (notice the notch in the hole for the distributor of all '80/later 351w blocks ... the optical distributor are notched to match it so that they can't turn).

You'll also want toss the heads, as they'll be garbage.

Use the '69 351w brackets if you're going to run the '69 setup (brackets are easy to find, but you have to use the right side lower radiator outlet). This brackets are easy to find in the aftermarket.

Use the '70 351w brackets if you want to run a left side radiator outlet. These brackets are rarer than hen's teeth.

Your dampner, pullies and brackets all need to match whichever year you choose to go with.

Oh, if this is a '93/later block, it is already "roller ready" or completely setup as a roller block.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It's not this Bronco is it?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnpro said:
I'm not as familiar with the '90's 351w's as I am the early and '80's ones. If the '90's one is similar to the '80's, you will want to toss the distributor and dampner, and use ones for use with an early engine. In the '80's, they used optical distributors. Timing is controlled completely by the computer, and there is no adjustment even possible at the distributor (notice the notch in the hole for the distributor of all '80/later 351w blocks ... the optical distributor are notched to match it so that they can't turn).

You'll also want toss the heads, as they'll be garbage.

Use the '69 351w brackets if you're going to run the '69 setup (brackets are easy to find, but you have to use the right side lower radiator outlet). This brackets are easy to find in the aftermarket.

Use the '70 351w brackets if you want to run a left side radiator outlet. These brackets are rarer than hen's teeth.

Your dampner, pullies and brackets all need to match whichever year you choose to go with.

Oh, if this is a '93/later block, it is already "roller ready" or completely setup as a roller block.
I believe it is a 97 model. Are the engine casting numbers underneath the starter like the older Ford engines? Where can I look up the numbers?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts