Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.
I am about to bash my head in to the wall with this temperature issue... So any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not running a crazy built engine to have these issues. Its a 65 mustang with a 351w stroked to a 408 with aluminum heads and converted to EFI holley sniper with a tremec TKO 5 spd and a 9 inch rear end 3:73. The car has AC and power steering.. The temperature creeps up to 226 at idle or if im driving around town or minor traffic. Once im on the freeway cruising 65+MPH it drops down to about 190ish.

Parts list:
-high flow edelbrock water pump
- bigger radiator (cut core support) with dual electric fans(1200 cfm each)
Autoworksparts
-CVF racing pulley kit. (The beast).

im starting to think the pulleys are my issue my crank pulley and water pump pulley both measure 5-3/8. Is anyone else using the CVF racing pulley kit thats experiencing the same issues? I called them and they said they have never heard this issue. Again any help or knowledge shared would be appreciated as I am learning as I go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
If it does it at idle and low speed, its an airflow issue. What e fans are you running? 1200cfm out of each fan? How are they mounted,?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it does it at idle and low speed, its an airflow issue. What e fans are you running? 1200cfm out of each fan? How are they mounted,?
I posted a link to the radiator kit. But here are the measurements of the radiator.
Overall size: 26”x19”x3” Core Size: 22-3/8”x18-3/4”x2-1/4” Dual 1” tubes

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I'm assuming both fans are running at an idle? Is that the correct rotation water pump?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming both fans are running at an idle? Is that the correct rotation water pump?
Yes. They both kick on at 190 and turn off at 180. Yes, I have a reverse rotation water pump with a reverse rotation chain cover.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a dumb question. But ill ask it anyways. Would an additional fan mounted on the outside pushing air into the radiator help or fix the issue???

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Here's a dumb question. But ill ask it anyways. Would an additional fan mounted on the outside pushing air into the radiator help or fix the issue???

I wouldn't think so, e fans can cause too much restrictions at high speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I don't think you have enough cfm. 2400 is less than the ford Taurus fan on low.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Google says 3200 low speed, 6000 high speed.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
114 Posts
I have the same radiator set up with a 460 SBF and had the same problem. Ended up ordering name brand higher cfm fans from Summit and the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same radiator set up with a 460 SBF and had the same problem. Ended up ordering name brand higher cfm fans from Summit and the problem is fixed.
What fans did u go with? Do u remember the CFM output?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
SPAL is really the only way to go for aftermarket fans. All others are JUNK in my opinion. Including the commonly used FAL fans. Anyone think it's a coincidence that FAL rhymes with SPAL? I do not. So hopefully that fixes your issue.

$1000 is a lot to pay for a radiator and fans that don't work. My 24" radiator with dual 1-1/8 tubes was $199. My fan (as linked above) was $125.99 and the Contour specific controller and wiring was $125.90. Grand total: 450.89. Sometimes it's better to piece stuff together yourself. I realize your radiator is a superior crossflow design but for $1000 it should be able to cool anything out of the box without having to upgrade the fans.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SPAL is really the only way to go for aftermarket fans. All others are JUNK in my opinion. Including the commonly used FAL fans. Anyone think it's a coincidence that FAL rhymes with SPAL? I do not. So hopefully that fixes your issue.

$1000 is a lot to pay for a radiator and fans that don't work. My 24" radiator with dual 1-1/8 tubes was $199. My fan (as linked above) was $125.99 and the Contour specific controller and wiring was $125.90. Grand total: 450.89. Sometimes it's better to piece stuff together yourself. I realize your radiator is a superior crossflow design but for $1000 it should be able to cool anything out of the box without having to upgrade the fans.
So I was looking at the 10 inch perma-cool fans. Simply because they are 10 inch same as the o es already on there and they have a higher CFM rating (2350 CFM). Perma-cool is Junk then?

Yeah trust me I'm not to happy that I have to change out the fans. I agree 100% with you for a 1000 dollars it should cool anything. But im stuck and I gotta do what I gotta do at this point.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Absolutely. Junk. SPAL only.

What's the amp rating on those Perma-Cool fans that supposedly flow 2350 CFM?

If that's it they claim 2350 CFM from 4.7 amps on a 10" fan. LOL? It's like the laws of physics do not apply. I'd trust an 1100 CFM SPAL fan over a 2350 CFM **** brand fan to get the job done.

I would try to do what Midnight did. Maybe he can take pictures of how he got the 12" fans to fit. I would not waste my money on another crappy set of fans because they'll allegedly be easier to install.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts