Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Absolutely. Junk. SPAL only.

What's the amp rating on those Perma-Cool fans that supposedly flow 2350 CFM?

If that's it they claim 2350 CFM from 4.7 amps on a 10" fan. LOL? It's like the laws of physics do not apply. I'd trust an 1100 CFM SPAL fan over a 2350 CFM **** brand fan to get the job done.

I would try to do what Midnight did. Maybe he can take pictures of how he got the 12" fans to fit. I would not waste my money on another crappy set of fans because they'll allegedly be easier to install.
10-4... thanks for the info. Appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
65, not trying to give you crap, but, why the electric fans ? To be compatible with your backspin waterpump, how about the big thermal clutch fan like on my 351W in a mid 90s F250? I'm guessing that the 351W pushing that large brick of a truck generates more heat that your car's engine does. And it cools just fine. LSG

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
The problem is not electric fans, most cars have had them going on 30 years now. The problem is inadequate and/or crappy electric fans. Getting electric fans to work is not the mystery. Figuring out that 95% of electric fans are garbage and/or falsely advertised is the mystery.

Personally I'd rather my alternator robs 1hp for an electric fan than 12-30 for a mechanical fan that just kinda does its thing without an ability to control it. Most guys have <350hp engines here. I don't think using a good percentage of that on a fan is prudent if you care about performance.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I've searched and searched and the most hp gained on a dyno, with an e fan is 10 or less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
65, not trying to give you crap, but, why the electric fans ? To be compatible with your backspin waterpump, how about the big thermal clutch fan like on my 351W in a mid 90s F250? I'm guessing that the 351W pushing that large brick of a truck generates more heat that your car's engine does. And it cools just fine. LSG
I have nothing against the manual fan. I just have the setup for Efans. Already wired and I have it set up with the holley sniper to control the e fans. Aside from the freed up HP I like the cleaner look of the E fans over the clutch fan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
65, I'd remove the electric fans, throw them in the trash where they belong, and get the thermal clutch and backspin fan from a 96 F250 with a 351W. Then, add an R model front splash pan to let more air in through the front. LSG

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
:rolleyes:

Some people are like a brick wall. On a variety of topics too.

I've searched and searched and the most hp gained on a dyno, with an e fan is 10 or less.
Have you seen the Engine Masters episode where they test mechanical fans?

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
:rolleyes:

Some people are like a brick wall. On a variety of topics too.

Have you seen the Engine Masters episode where they test mechanical fans?
Google didn't pull that up.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
They didn't do an electric to mechanical comparison. They did mention an electric fan might put about a 1hp load on an alternator.

Here's how much power each fan robbed compared to no fan at about 5000 RPM:

Thermal clutch fan cold -14hp
Metal flex fan -20hp
Plastic flex fan -24hp
Factory style fixed metal fan -30hp

That that it was only at 5000 RPM. It has the potential to be worse at higher RPM. And also keep in mind since the fan does not care what engine is behind it, they will likely rob the same amount of power on any engine.

14hp seems liveable on the clutch fan but that's cold, as it heats up it will take away more power.

If you want a mechanical fan, that's fine. They do often work pretty well with a shroud under certain operating conditions (though not usually while sitting in traffic). But it's ABSOLUTELY IGNORANT to think they're superior to electrical fans, or that you can't get electrical fans to work, not only sufficiently, but optimally. Don't blame electric fans, which the OEMs have been using successfully for decades, because people don't understand that ten amps worth of fan can't cool a big V8 with the A/C going. And don't give one sided advice just because something is beyond your capability. Not everyone here is destined to be a bad mechanic forever.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Jdub, lets keep in mind that brick wallls are sturdy, reliable, and require almost zero maintance. So, some folks, like me, are big fans of brick walls. But, to get back to electric fans, yes, the OEMs use them alot now, but, sadly, MOST of the aftermarket electrics are just not up to the job. And the factory thermal clutch jobs are easliy available, usually very cost effective, and generally reliable, like the brick walls are ;) ! Count me as a FAN of bricks ! LSG

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
...and a brick wall can settle in and crack, too many winters can wear them down. You nearly have to destroy them to ever fix them properly and when they fail they can smash stuff and tear other things down with them:eek:

Does the OP have an AF meter in that fancy rig? I wonder what the FI to combat or prevent a lean condition? I only mention it because Im back to trying to sort my secondaries on a Holley, back and forth from fat/ lean or open too soon. Today I went tooo lean again, spent a few miles trying to get it to pull properly from 3-5K RPM and got a couple of heat spikes and the last one wouldn't resolve itself so I babied it back to the garage.
A vacuum leak can cause the same thing and maybe the FI conceals the problem.:unsure:

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I just put a thermal clutch fan on my friend's '69 Camaro two weeks ago to replace the silver and blue aluminum flex fan that robs 20hp and doesn't cool worth a damn.

I see a use for thermal clutch fans for certain people in certain applications. But I also see the virtue in the electrics.

I think the stigma around electric fans is due to what has been mentioned over and over: aftermarket fans suck.

Even SPALs are pretty weak. I only recommend them because you can actually trust their CFM rating. But they don't have a monster fan like seemingly pedestrian 80/90s cars had from the factory.

The other issues that makes them a bad choice for many people is that if you want to do it right- actually have sufficient amps to cool your car- you probably need a 3G alternator, which it looks like the OP already has.

A $100 aftermarket fan with a 1G alternator is going to cause heartburn and headaches. No doubt.

But done right I think they're a good thing.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts