Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 69 mach1 with a 351W.car was built feb5 in NJ.it originally had an auto trans and NO air condition.the current radiator and water pump lower hose comes out on the left side.also the rad cap is off center to the left side.Is this the correct radiator- waterpump set up for this car?or should it be right side lower hoses,and cap on center?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If your Lower Hose is on the Drivers side, then you have a 70 or newer 351W.

All the 69's were on the Passengers side (Radiator, and Water Pump)

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Dan,I will look for the date codes on the block.is it possible the wrong water pump was put on a 69 block?or maybe the bolts wont line up?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
351w raditor

my 67 has the 351W and bottom driver side has the hole and top is pass so my 351W is newer .. LOL it was a 2 bbl I ck the # on the intacke web sez a 1979 bronco now to find a raditor ebay seems to be the cheap place with fRee shipping

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If your Lower Hose is on the Drivers side, then you have a 70 or newer 351W.

All the 69's were on the Passengers side (Radiator, and Water Pump)

Dan @ Chockostang
Or, although unlikely, someone changed the waterpump with a later unit. If the water pump outlet and the lower radiator outlet match (both are on the same side) it likely either came that way or someone swapped several parts including the water pump, the radiator (or moved the outlet), and lower hose.

One way to tell the difference between a '69 and a '70 351W is to look at the number of bolts on the crank pulley. Assuming the balancer and pulley hasn't been changed as well, a '69 has 3 bolts holding the pulley on where a '70 has 4 bolts. Date codes are best though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts