Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I located one today. Just had to tell someone who understands. The guy wants 450 for the whole motor. I just want the block. Are the other parts worth anything?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Well, with the extremely limited information you gave, (ie, it runs, its locked up, everything is rusted, very clean, etc) not much else is really highly sought after. Maybe if they're E7 heads they will be worth a few dollars? I'm not sure what years came with them.

Why do you 'think' you located one? Did you see f4te? What did it come out of? It may just be roller READY, but not have the spider tray/dog bones in it, it totally depends on what it came out of and the year.

Some people will say only the lightnings got the 351w roller in '94. I bought a complete (locked up) motor from the junk yard for $250 and it came out of '94 Eddie Bauer edition Bronco. Nothing on it that is highly sought after besides the block.

Chaz

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
The early Lightnings did NOT get roller cams. They did use the F4TE roller blocks though. Every other truck/Bronco with the F4TE 5.8 had a roller cam.
I have an F4TE that someone rebuilt and then promptly put a hole in one piston and cracked the cylinder. Sooner or later I'll find another block. If I stumble across a complete 5.8 upper intake too, I might consider swapping it all into my 5.0 pickup. Maybe.
I don't know what everyone's doing with all the used/junked F4TE's, but they are suprisingly hard to find at a reasonable price around here.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
All 94-up F-series trucks and E-series vans thwat came with the 5.8 (351W) engine got the F4TE roller block. The blocks are worth about $300 around here. The rest of the parts have very limited value. I wouldn't pay $450 on that engine just to ge the block unless they're particularly hard to find in your area. They shouldn't be too hard to find. The last year of production they were used in was 14 years ago.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Opps, I meant to say mine had the dog bones/spider tray. Weird the lightnings didn't get them. Been a while since I've researched the topic.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
The early Lightnings did NOT get roller cams. They did use the F4TE roller blocks though. Every other truck/Bronco with the F4TE 5.8 had a roller cam.
I have an F4TE that someone rebuilt and then promptly put a hole in one piston and cracked the cylinder. Sooner or later I'll find another block. If I stumble across a complete 5.8 upper intake too, I might consider swapping it all into my 5.0 pickup. Maybe.
I don't know what everyone's doing with all the used/junked F4TE's, but they are suprisingly hard to find at a reasonable price around here.
No kidding. I've been trying to locate one for a while in my area. Closest I came was a guy that wanted $500 for everything and it had a knocking rod. I let him keep it.
One day my '95 is going to need a new motor!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
Almost exactly 12 hours after I last posted I had to go see a guy about something else and spotted a 5.8 upper with throttle body laying around at his shop. $25 and it's going home with me. Wish and it appears! Cool.
Now if only I could stumble across cheap '69 Sportsroof to put that 5.8 or a 351W. Hint hint genie, or whatever it was that just worked.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I am destined to pay full price all my life. I could not find one around here for the longest and then I ran into a guy who has a 96 FWD f-150. And I did not mean it was totally ready, just that I may have found a block.

I asked if it was really what I wanted. He is going to pull it and if it is not a F4TE, he will get me one. 400 bucks. Sorta used to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I run across these blocks alot. I've had a couple. I have one in the car right now that I got for 200. Entire motor. Had 150k on it by the tag in the JY, pulled it down, had been rebuilt at some point. Just put a cam, valve springs, and intake on it and she's been a good motor so far. The last one someone gave me. Pretty sure I sold it off to someone though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts