Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I've been lurking for a while and I've finally decided to register and ask some questions.

I have a 68 Coupe w/ a numbers matching 289. For the past year or so I've been working on rebuilding a 351w that I plan to swap in. The block is dated 1984. Am I going to run into any issues with a newer block? Most of what I read people are using early 70's blocks.

I'm at the point where the engine is almost ready to drop in. I've got the heads and roller rockers bolted on and I'm starting to work on getting the alternator and power steering pump in place. I had a few questions first.

1.) The current setup I have is using a timing chain cover and water pump from a 1984 351w. This means I have the water outlet on the drivers side instead of the passenger side like later model 351w's did. Is this going to be a problem for me? If so is my best bet to pick up a 1969 timing chain cover + water pump?
2.) What am I going to have to do to get my 289's alternator and power steering pump to fit? I found these two bracket adapters.
351W Alternator Adapter Bracket
351W Power Steering Pump Adapter Bracket
Will these work for me or are these for later model 351w's?

I'm a bit new to rebuilding engines and swaps like this so any advice feel free to throw at me.

Thanks!

*** UPDATE ***
Updated question in post #17

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/625019-351w-swap-project-2.html#post4085789

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went through exactly the same things.

69 water pump is passenger side inlet. Bolts right up to later timing cover but covers your timing marks. New timing mark relocated to the driver side is easy to do. With '69 water pump stock upper and lower '69 rad hoses if your rad inlet/outlet are on the pass. side. You will need to change the thermostat housing to a 45 degree (instead of 90 degree)

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/624212-351w-swap-radiator-hoses.html

I made temporary PS brackets until such time as I can make some rod ended ones. The ones on your link should work.

Alternator bolts up with stock brackets.

HTH
Miles

·
Registered
1965 Wimbledon White 2+2, C-code, Auto
252 Posts
Welcome!

I did this swap on my '65. No problem using that newer block. I went with a W from 1994 or so.

1) You can use that timing cover and water pump from your 289 if you want. This is what I did with mine. There are solutions if you want to use the reverse rotation water pump, but I'm not certain about all it entails, so I'll leave the details to someone who knows.

2) That's the exact alternator adapter I used, it worked perfectly. I eliminated my PS, so I cannot say for certain, but I'm pretty sure that other bracket will work for you as well.

The intake, distributor, and oil pan are different for the 289/302 vs. 351.
And I had to use a specific header for the swap on my 65 - you may have enough room on a 68, but again, I'm not sure.

And before you do anything else, post some pictures of your ride!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both of you. This is very helpful. I think my best bet will be to go with a 289 cover and pump. openheaders, do you happen to have any pictures of your engine using the adapter?

I'll try to post some pics up at some point. I've owned the car for 11 years now. I purchased and restored it to the best of our ability with my dad. I was 15 at the time so it was definitely a learning experience. We're now going back and doing all those things we should have done the first time around.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used front brackets from a 90 T-bird which allowed me to use a new style power steering pump, AC compressor, single wire alt and V belt.

·
Registered
1965 Wimbledon White 2+2, C-code, Auto
252 Posts
Well, it doesn't look too pretty in this picture, but it's the only one I have with a clear view of the alternator adapter. I painted it cast Al

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I converted my 351w to single belt serpentine set up. Used a late model 302 alt bracket and tensioner, ordered a air conditioner bracket from Summit, a correct balancer with spacer. I have ps, alt and ac with one belt. So far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep, that's basically the same set up I'm running except I got everything from a wrecking yard so my A/C PS bracket is a bit different.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the early style water pump and timing cover. I have that same adapter bracket for the alternator but not sure I'll use it. It just looks a little cheap to me. I'm thinking I will do the bolt to the head with the alum. spacer like on a 289 and modify the alt bracket to work with the 351 heads.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
do C4 and AOD transmission bolt up to the 351W ? What about motor mounts and exhaust for a 68 ?

I have a '86 302 can I just put all of my front accessories on a 351W ?

lastly is this a good engine ? thinking about going by this shop near Dallas TX and talking to these guys.
393 or 408 Dominator Crate Engine The Stroker 500HP - eBay (item 130492045485 end time Mar-29-11 17:06:23 PDT)

I want to convert my 302 to a 351 stroker with all accessories and a centrifual supercharger unless theres a roots style supercharger for the 351W.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
I just use the 1970's-80's Ford alternator adapter. Like this rusty one.

Two holes for the bolts into the head and your choice of threaded bosses, one for 289/302's and the other for 351W's. I've seen these in aluminum but had one strip out so I've been using the cast iron ones since.
Any transmission that will bolt up to a 289/302/5.0 bolts up just fine to a 351W.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
can you convert the older 351's to the newer OEM style fuel injection ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did a 302-351w swap in my 67. I used the same headers,front timing cover. i had to order a new pan and pick-up tube together i think they where 75-100 bucks for a chrome pan and tube. i used a 88 f-250 351w. anything that bolts to a 302 or 289 tranny wise will work on a 351w for who was wondering same bolt pattern for bellhousing

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys,
Back with another question. I was looking at after-market brackets from CVF Racing. I'm wondering if either of these options will work with a 351w using a 1968 289 alternator (not sure if that's any different from a 351w alternator) and a 1968 289 power steering pump.

I know I can always just purchase the ones for the 289 and use them with the bronco adapters, but I was wondering if these brackets would work WITHOUT having to use the adapter, and if so which one?

351w 1965-1968 Alternator Bracket
Ford Small Block Alternator Bracket - 351W, 1965-1968

351w 1969+ Alternator Bracket
Ford Small Block Alternator Bracket - 351W, 1969+

351w 1965-1968 Power Steering Bracket
Ford Small Block Power Steering Bracket - 351W, 1965-1968

351w 1969+ Power Steering Bracket
Ford Small Block Power Steering Bracket - 351W, 1969+

Thoughts??

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think they should work fine with your alternator. I made my brackets out of solid aluminum and i think they tured out great for free.99 lol i like the way those cvfs look though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, any thoughts as to which one I should go with? 1965-1968 or 1969+. I'm confused by this since mustang didn't offer a 351w until 1969 but wasn't sure if there 1965-1968 would work better for me since I'm trying to match them to a 1968 alternator and power steering pump.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For anyone following this thread, I contacted CVF about this and got a good response...

"You want 351W-ALTBRKT-P. It is designed for the taller 351W deck height without any extensions etc. Yes the water pump matters because the spacers and hardware are different.

On the PS bracket you want 351W-PSBRKT-P for the passenger side water pump. It is designed for the older ford PS pump with the steel reservoir."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts