Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help

I swapped in a 351W in place of the 302 in my 68 coupe. I want to use the stock radiator but the stock hoses won't work as the Windsor has a driver side inlet and a 90 degree outlet.

As this is a popular swap anyone have part numbers for the needed hoses?

Thanks.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Well, a hose that would connect your 68 radiator to your 70+ water pump would be a plumber's nightmare. You have, realistically, two choices; get a 1970 radiator, or get a 1968 water pump. Then you use the 68 or 70 hoses, whichever way you have chosen.

·
Registered
316 Posts
plus 1 - waterpump. There are some unique and slick looking plumbing options. Post soe pictures - you never know how creative the solutions might be......

·
Registered
111 Posts
There may be some hoses that would work but I don't know of any. You could take the timing chain cover and water pump off of the 302 and swap it. That's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
solution

Thanks for the help. Didn't even think about swapping water pumps and that looks to be the right direction.

Here is what I'm going to try. '69 351W water pump has a right side inlet. I have test fit it on the newer 351W timing chain cover and it looks like it will work. If it does stock 69 hoses work with the '68 radiator as well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it sure did but I found a $12 dollar solution to that problem. National Parts Depot '69 timing pointer (#6023-1a $7.99) and Jegs timing tape (#40710 $3.99). A couple hours work and the timing mark is now relocated to the driver side and nice and visible.

Pictures by fahrenheit351 - Photobucket

·
Registered
916 Posts
I used flex radiator hoses: 351w with a newer pump (DS outlet), BB style radiator, 90 degree water neck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grant
Jegs-part #655-1631, $86.99

Nice piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts