Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to participating in a forum, but this seems to be where the best experience is for help.

I have a 69 Mach 1 with a 351W-4 Sp Toploader. I haven't been able to get the OEM style clutch linkage installed correctly and realized at least one reason is because the block is not date correct. I don't know for sure what year it is, but it does not have the threaded hole for the pivot bracket of the Z-bar. I tried using an aftermarket bracket (90 degree that bolts to bell housing) that is supposed to enable a conversion, but it isn't going to work.

Can anyone advise me on how to get around this problem? I'm sure I could convert to automatic or pull the motor out and take it back to the engine shop for modification, but is there a better way - hydraulic clutch conversion, maybe? Also, I know it's a possibility that something else is wrong or misaligned that's contributing to the problem. Could be that I'm a rookie at this.

I bought the car as a roller, no power train and an empty engine compartment. The seller gave me lots of parts that I've been trying to use but in some cases, there were two different styles of parts and I may have chosen the wrong one like the bell housing--I went with the steel one, but there is an aluminum one as well that is molded a little different.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
In not a 69-70 person. But the frame side bracket is slotted and adjustable to take up slack. It will move about an inch. It doesn't look like that conversion block lines up in the iron bellhousing. Are both bellowing the same size. There are 10.5" bellowing and 1 1" ones. And they use different fly wheels and starters due to ring gear position.

Is there a part number on that z bar?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've installed 2 different 351w's in my '69, both from the '90's, and had to grind away material on the block to get the bracket to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions.

JW67Conv - I don't know about the bellowing, but I will research the 10.5" vs 11" and find out what I have. The P/N on the Z-bar is: FM-EC009 or C9ZZ-7528A/D, I ordered it from David Kee Toploader in San Antonio.
I have another Z-bar that came in the parts the previous owner included, but it looked to me that it was for a different year Mustang (shaped a little different).

Ironstang - Everything should be bolted up, but I will double check since this project has had a lot of start and stop. Do you have the part number of the correct cross-member I can use to verify? The one that's on it is one of the parts that came with it.

malarson, ajzride - Do either of you have a pic you could post so I can get a general idea of how the Z-bar aligns between the pivot brackets or any pics that show the clutch linkage installed after you modified?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Found this pic online. The block needs to be massaged behind the bracket so it fits flush.
That's how it should fit. I think I had to grind a little on the block, maybe a little on the bell housing too. And I think once I had to enlarge the holes for the bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts