Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, which is the better engine?? My friend just put a C in his 65, and right now I'm rebuilding a W. Just curious. Oh ya, also why do you think the other is better?? I heard C's have cooling problems!! Thanks!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
For cost-effective performance and for easiest fit, you've got the right powerplant...

For all-out racing, he does.....though that gap has closed in recent years..

What's your preference?

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is super simple

C = Costs a lot more
W = Works just as nice, costs less

LOL

Jimbo65

Atlanta, GA
65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleveland, if you have the money and time to look and wait for parts. Windsor if you don't. Both work well, unless your into very high rpm, that's where the difference comes in.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
In a 65 - the Winsor wins, hands down. Both are good engines, but the W is way more practical.

Simply put, unless you are extraordinarily talented at engineering and fabrication (to make the engine fit and accessories hook up correctly) - go with the Windsor.

It works - every time. And it will not drain your kid's college funds.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on the year of the Winsor block. The earlier W with the lower deck hights had a stronger lower end than the Cs(look at the web and journal thickness), The C's had those massive heads that breathed like no-ones business, but that is now avail. through aftermarket units. The C's had the oil gallery issues as well, and if rebuilding one, it's wise to open up the passages in places.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I have a Cleveland in my '65 coup. It bolts right in. I don't know why
people say that you have to do shock tower work to get them in. I use
headers from Tubular Automotive #ES7 and a oil filter adapter from
a 5.0, it bolts right in, no cutting or welding. We use the car in open
track events and blow by the winsors. I would go for the Cleveland.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said, I have a W, so that's what I prefer!! The aftermarket parts are more plentyful, and in most cases cheaper. Just curious what everyone else thought!! Opentracker, I know a C will fit in a 65-66, because I helped install the C into my friends car. He also went with those headers, and the adapter. A little harder to install than a W, but it definately can be done!! Thanks for all the responses!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's WINDSOR not Winsor!!
Don't you hate it when people spell your name wrong - even if it is related to a vintage Mustang?

69 Grande Coupe
2000 GT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts