Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm just starting to build a 351w for my 65 Coupe. Here's what I'm planning. Trw 11:1 pistons, Arp bolts all around, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge aluminum heads w/ 2.02,1.60 valves, single plane intake, holly 700. Also a 270 custom cam with .600 lift. This car will be a weekend warrior, and a 1/4 mile car when I have time to get to the track. What do you think of this combo?? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Put an APB out for 66gt350 (haven't seen him yet on the new forum but saw he had one or 2 today on the old). This sounds very similar to the setup he has in his '66 fastback. He just recently discovered some "minor" valve clearance problems (fortunately before any damage).

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My 65 X-tremestang is based on a crate 1995 351W Lightning roller short block assembly to which I have added ported and polished Twisted Wedge heads, Twisted Wedge roller cam 542/563, Weiand Stealth intake topped by a Speed Demon. Coast High Performance did the blueprint and balance on the lower end and I did the port/polsih at home. Mark Jeffrey at Coast High estimates 450 to 500 flywheel horsepower. I would only suggest that if this is your first real hi performance motor, to seek out the advice from somone that is knowledgeable in matching components to come up with a winning combination.

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hey John, how did you get bold italics on your signature?

Whatever you do, take care of your shoes...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hey Madstang,
Looks like a pretty good setup. Sounds pretty similar to what I've got in my fastback. The big difference is that I've got a slightly smaller cam, and running Avenger R heads with 2.080 valves.

Like Johnpro said, I did run into one slight problem that I need to get fixed. Valve to Piston clearance. I don't know what I did wrong when I checked this, but obviously I did something wrong. With those big 2.080 valve, I've got a small dent in top of each of those pistons that I now need to have flycut. The cam I'm currently running has a bit less lift than what you have, so definitely check it out.

The two big areas that you will have to look into are exhaust and cooling. You'll need a 351W swap headers. There are several brands out there, I went with the cheap ones, headman long tube headers. If I was to do it again, I'd go with a set of JBA coated shorties, but they're about $600. Later mod....much later.

Cooling....what else is there to say. A stock setup will have problems, with the horses that motor will produce. I haven't run too much in the heat of summer, so I don't know if what I've done will work or if I'll need more. In the cooler weather, I run fine. I've got a stock replacement aluminum water pump, that came with the motor. And a desert three core radiator. I've also replaced my front end with a shelby racing apron, allowing all the air the air to get to the radiator. Even running in cooler weather, I can tell in stop and go that I'll have heating problems come summer. I plan to add an auxiliary electric fan.

If you have specific questions, drop me an email and I'll see what i can do for ya.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
See here for information on markup language and how to make your posts really weird and exciting...
hehehe

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
More radical than my race car engine except for compression....

450+ hp is a reasonable estimate...

Transmission, suspension and rear end please??

Gotta get all that power to the ground....see picture below for how I do it...
Expect low 12's/ high 11's with suspension and tire tuning in a stock chassis...high 10's in a car like mine...

Get a roll bar installed...and a safety harness...
This is serious power you're talking about...the suggestion about a mentor for the development process is a good one.

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts