Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casting date 9F10, "WI" over cast date. "9-F-11 7" stamped on front flat near water pump inlet (RH upper side of block as installed, LH side looking into engine bay from front). Also a "C" and separately from both the other two "RH 1017C" (or maybe last one is a partial "0". Format is incorrct for Year-Plant-Sequence Number, which I beleive was used? Also doesn't make sense as a partial VIN as in '69 "H" was a 351 2V, I'm pretty sure this is a 390 block (4.050 bores, spot on for factory 390 specs). But if it was a "R" code that would be cool... but I really doubt it as the bore is wrong.

No other stamps, so thinking service replacement block as a factory unit should have a VIN somewhere, none I can find.

Factory paint markings or some rebuild leftovers?

No clue what it was originally, had a 2U crank is all I know for sure. Have the cam, but no obvious markings on it, other then a FoMoCo casting on one end. Think the block has C7AE-B rods and 390/2V slipper skirted pistons.

(Yes, the upper cap is upside down, was hard enought to get the sucker out so, lightly fixed it in backwards to keep it in place on the way to the shop for a hot tank and checkup for condition!)

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
dalorzo_f said:
Casting date 9F10, "WI" over cast date. "9-F-11 7" stamped on front flat near water pump inlet (RH upper side of block as installed, LH side looking into engine bay from front).
Looks like you found the machine date.. kind of makes sense, cast on the 10th machined on the 11th

dalorzo_f said:
Also a "C" and separately from both the other two "RH 1017C" (or maybe last one is a partial "0". Format is incorrct for Year-Plant-Sequence Number, which I beleive was used?
The VINs were typically stamped on the rear of the block - drivers side - by 69. Its possible (since it is on the front) that this was a rebuilders way of identifying their job - for warranty issues

dalorzo_f said:
Also doesn't make sense as a partial VIN as in '69 "H" was a 351 2V, I'm pretty sure this is a 390 block (4.050 bores, spot on for factory 390 specs). But if it was a "R" code that would be cool... but I really doubt it as the bore is wrong.
Don't think this was the VIN but for other "investigation" by 68 the shortened version of VINs stamped on blocks would not have included the engine code but the plant code (you already know what engine it is ... the stampings are on it ;)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. Yes, figured the 9F11 was machining date.

The other is possibly an Australian "engine number" they require to be stamped on a block for registration, as noted unsure of originl of the block. As its on the front, it makes it visible with the engine installed, seems a "probable" as its an odd nunmber.

And yes, brain fart, plant not engine code in the partial... my toploader has an 8"R"***** for the S code!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts