Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 390 with C-6 swap into a 68 mustang coupe and if so what is needed as far as engine mounts and headers???

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yep, it will fit. The brackets between the frame & the mounts have different hole locations for mounting to the frame than a small block. Also you you will need a trans crossmember for a BB car. Eatily identifiable by the extra bend to clear the modulator & it has a steel channel that goes from end to end unlike the other auto mounts that it only goes 2/3's the way.

==FMX & smallblock C6 Mount==

http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/ef/c1/33_1.JPG

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Just make sure it's a (GT)390, or your going to need to change out the heads and Ex. manifolds too. :p

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yes it will. Just make sure that the heads have the offset bolt pattern on the exhaust ports. Regular headers will not fit in the car with the straight up and down bolt pattern. If your heads dont have it,you can have them tapped. Very easy and cheap. You will also need the matching exhaust manifolds or headers. Trans mount That jmlay showed is the one you need.Engine mounts can be found anywhere. Just make sure the car your putting it in was a V8 car. This motor is to heavy for a I6 car and the brakes are smaller on those cars to. Along with the suspension parts. Everything else should be straight forward. Radiator has outlet on drivers side so you might need a swap there to. Mike

·
Registered
776 Posts
Shock towers should be beefed up. All late model 68 Big Block cars had beefed up shock towers. 67's did not have these braces, and are more prone to crack.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Actually the regular heads with the up/down bolt pattern should work with a set of headers, the only reason they usually don't is that they hit the shock tower reinforcements, and I don't think the 68 cars had those that wrap all the way around the shock tower like a 69/70.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, now I am hunting parts...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If your heads have the 8-bolt "vertical" (up and down) exhaust pattern there are headers out there that will work.

All heads manufactured after 1966 (?) have the blank bosses which can be drilled and tapped for the CJ exhaust bolt pattern.

Also, you will need the correct accelerator linkage. It is different for a big-block (the kickdown arm is in a different place). The shifter linkage rod is different also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts