Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some examples and descriptions as to the proper detailing of a 390 GT engine, prior to installation. Things such as what was bolted on when the blue paint was applied, where inspection marks may have been found, etc. I have read articles on this sort of detail for 289's, 302's, 351's, 427's but have never seen an article on detailing a 390 GT. Can anyone help? Could anyone point me to some pictures and/or description of such restoration detail?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
if you find some can you post links? thanks

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
What year? I've got lot of 68 428 pics.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for '67 appropriate detail photos, but I'd still find '68 info helpful. Please let me know what you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Don't know any good sources I thought Jim Smart was going to do an artilce on that subject about 2 yrs ago but who know what happened.

One nice little detail on that particular engine is to paint the valve cover gaskets silver and attach them to the valve covers using large heavy duty staples like they did on the assembly line

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't know any good sources I thought Jim Smart was going to do an artilce on that subject about 2 yrs ago but who know what happened.

One nice little detail on that particular engine is to paint the valve cover gaskets silver and attach them to the valve covers using large heavy duty staples like they did on the assembly line
interesting... I have never seen a set of valve covers with holes in them let alone staples. will have to keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
interesting... I have never seen a set of valve covers with holes in them let alone staples. will have to keep an eye out for that.
No holes the staples held the gasket to the valve covers for installation (after the engine was painted) by placing the staples around the "ears" the are on the gaskets and valve covers. The simply rap around the ears and gaskets - from the top side. Staples are round in shape (dia) and heavy in thickness

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The simply rap around the ears and gaskets - from the top side. Staples are round in shape (dia) and heavy in thickness
got it, cool

are the staples like the ones used on the radiator support for the rubber "flap" to the hood?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts