Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a period correct 4 barrel intake manifold on craigslist that came off a 1968 Century Resorter boat motor. Is this the same intake used on the car motors?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yes it is. and it weighs a ton, so be prepared to use an engine hoist to install it if the engine is in the car.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I’m taking one apart now and it appears to be correct. Pushrods pass through the intake and valve cover mounts to intake as well.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
As stated in Ford casting books, a 1966-1968 390 GT has a large "S" casting mark on intake runner next to casting number.
Does yours have that?
What is your casting numbers?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As stated in Ford casting books, a 1966-1968 390 GT has a large "S" casting mark on intake runner next to casting number.
Does yours have that?
What is your casting numbers?
I don't see the "S" on the intake... the casting number is C7 9425A. Here is a picture of the underside of the intake.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Are you planning to use it on a car motor? If so, why? Besides the weight mentioned earlier, it is not a particularly high performance upgrade. If your goal is to optimize engine power, get a hold of Jay Brown's book on FE intakes. He actually has a dyno in his home shop and systematically compared the flow of a number of different intakes and provides data and analysis for the average consumer.

·
Registered
37,716 Posts
I found a period correct 4 barrel intake manifold on craigslist that came off a 1968 Century Resorter boat motor. Is this the same intake used on the car motors?

View attachment 738055
No. That looks like a C7JE-A marine intake used on a 427. Small port and not drilled for the 390 "GT" style PCV system. With tongue-in-cheek being a marine piece, it's a "boat anchor". LOL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. That looks like a C7JE-A marine intake used on a 427. Small port and not drilled for the 390 "GT" style PCV system. With tongue-in-cheek being a marine piece, it's a "boat anchor". LOL.
Good to know...I already have enough "boat anchors" to supply the Pacific Fleet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you planning to use it on a car motor? If so, why? Besides the weight mentioned earlier, it is not a particularly high performance upgrade. If your goal is to optimize engine power, get a hold of Jay Brown's book on FE intakes. He actually has a dyno in his home shop and systematically compared the flow of a number of different intakes and provides data and analysis for the average consumer.
I bought a 390 out of a 1968 Galaxie. It has a 2 barrel manifold. If possible, I want to find a period correct 4 barrel intake for that motor. I'm putting it a 68 fastback "C" code. My goal is to build a Bullitt clone.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I would just go with an aluminum intake and paint it the same as the engine. If you grind off the name most folks won't even notice it. I did that with an Edelbrock on my wifes 289....yes dear, pretty much all stock, just like you wanted....:)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would just go with an aluminum intake and paint it the same as the engine. If you grind off the name most folks won't even notice it. I did that with an Edelbrock on my wifes 289....yes dear, pretty much all stock, just like you wanted....:)
^+ I'm not sure what a "period correct" iron manifold costs, but any used aluminum manifold would be an improvement in performance plus a large weigh savings.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Not quite ANY aluminum intake would b animprovement. There are some really bad ones out there,like the SP2P and some of the Offy's. How about looking at a new 427MR intake from BlueThunder. Works well,and would look period correct. LSG

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Blue Thunder, great intake, pricey and nowadays getting harder to get...... Looks like a factory intake. A very high quality piece.
You can also find a 428 Police Interceptor intake, aluminum, made by Ford, sometimes for a reasonable price.
Next for factory look in aluminum would be an Edelbrock F427, those pop up for a couple hundred often enough. You can grind the Edelbrock logo off and they look like a Ford intake. Period correct for an aftermarket piece.
Any of the above would be a great improvement weight and performance wise over the low rise iron version. For max gain out of the F427 Edelbrock you'd have to match the ports, they are quite small as it is stock.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Shipping would probably kill it, but how many do you want? Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts