Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my FE. I can barely get it to run but it wil with a lot of TLC. I think that the fuel pump is shot. Or it could be the carburator. I just rebuilt it. I'm having problems being that I'm taking in way to much gas. It all flows down to the #5 cylinder and piles up there. This is a 2 barrel 76 390 from my 76' F250. I took out the #5 plug and turned it over to let the gas out, the engine shot gas out of my engine compartment and got a good 7 ft distance on the first turnover. After the first time it doesn't shoot as much out. I also have a lot of gas in my oil pan. I don't know it it is just sneaking past the rings in the #5 cylinder of if it's coming in somewhere else.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Sounds like you have the float set way too high. The gas is entering the engine through the venturie jets. You should be able to tell this by removing the coil wire, cranking the motor for 6 or 7 seconds and then looking down the throat of the carburetor. You will see gas dripping from the venturies...
Fix your float, change your oil and add a little oil to #5 cylinder and you should be ok...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts