Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1968 390 Mustang and having never owned a big-block car before would like to know owners opinions of the motor. Things like handling, overheating problems, etc. Love it or hate it I would like to hear your personal experiences.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The only overheating problem I have had with the 4 that I have built, was the one that was bored 60 over. Otherwise it has not been an issue. They are a bit front end heavy, affecting handling to some degree. But if you rebuild everything it is not that bad. Power wise they are quick, not a CJ, but will get up and go. The one big complaint is trying to change plugs due to clearance to the shock towers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a '67 GTA coupe and I love the 390. It is plenty quick, and I have not had any overheating problems and it gets HOT here. As was said previously, it is not a CJ but it is plenty of fun around town.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a '65 T-Bird with the 390. It was a great engine, and I never had any engine problems what-so-ever. It does like to drink lots of gas, though! :)

G

·
I have upgraded from a 289 to a 390 FE GT in my 67 fastback. First of all I have no overheating. I installed an electric fan and it works great. The noise it makes compared to the 289 is AWESOME as is the difference in power and my 289 was uprated. I have MAGNA suspension and the handling is better than on my previous 289 car also with uprated suspension. One big problem 390s had was lack of oil so the oil ports on mine were drilled out bigger to help. Petrol it drinks a lot of especialy if your right foot is heavy. GREAT ENGINE. the only thing against it for me is plug changing and Im dreading the day it needs new head gaskets or manifold gaskets as i think the engine will have to be pulled. Small blocks are for girlies!! ::

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,655 Posts
There's no substitute for cubic inches!!!! Tons of torque and a very authoritative sounding exhaust. Overheating is a function of the cooling system's ability to dissipate heat. A good 4 core radiator, fan shroud, large fan and regular maintenance is all it takes to keep things under control. As mentioned previously, spark plugs can be a challenge and gas mileage could be better; 9 around town and 15 on the highway. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Windsor engines are better then the old FE family. The 385 family is even better.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
On a hot day it's like you have the heater on because of the huge thermal mass just in front of your feet.
I don't have any overheating problems with a standard set-up (I have a vette and I know overheating problems in slow traffic.:().
Doesn't handle great but you don't want to drive too fast when everybdy wants a good look at your machine anyway!
Yes, changing plugs are a bicshh!

·
Administrator
19,518 Posts
The only con I can think of is that my car isn't finished yet! ::

Love that 390!

G

·
Uh...telling the curious that YES it was an offered engine in '67.

Lots of radiant heat.
Mine stalls during high outside temps...I think it boils the gas before it gets down its throat on those real hot days.
Lighten up the front with aluminum....heads,intake,water pump :)
Great sound with Flowmasters ::.
Unique, some might say odd....
Parts may be a little harder to come by, read more expensive.
You can say "Its a BIG block" :: :D ::

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
LOL! I dont have anything against small blocks, but that just sounds SO freakin' hilarious. I'm always makin' fun of my bro cause he has a 302 in his 72 and I have a Cleveland in my 73. Mainly because my head...opps...I means heads are bigger.

G

·
Or. to put it another way. Lets say you have to men. One has a 3 inch willy the other has a 10 inch willy. No matter how well the guy with the 3 inch willy uses it, Its the guy with the 10 incher that gets all the attention from the appropiate people. I rest my case. :: This is my British sense of humour coming through now

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
OK sorry you know everything. maybe you should think about making 400hp on your 390? maybe even a Y-block. FEs are old and have been replaced by better engines. the BB and windsor engines can make way more power then the FE.

G

·
hey hey, calm down. dont get your knickers in a twist. We are just having a laugh. Oh, my 390 is putting out 408 BHP. All im saying is small bocks are for girlies :: You dont get the sound or shear brute grunt with a small block. My mate has a 408 stroker engine, yes its fast but it just does not sound as beastie if you know what I mean

1 - 20 of 21 Posts