Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my new wheels, tires soon on the way, rust all patched up and soon to be painted.

Next on the list: the right engine: 390 4V V8 GT

Now the current 289 2v in it doesnt hang around, but i'm wondering if it would really be worth going 'back' to a 390.

On paper:

289 2v: 210HP
390 4v: 325HP

But what about on the road? Would there actually seem like a big power/accelloration increase?

(And PLEASE dont tell me about the 351, i know about it, but want to restore this baby /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You asked: "Would there actually seem like a big power/acceleration increase?". The answer is yes, like being hit with a bus. I've never been a fan of the big blocks, but the difference between a 2v 289 and a 4v 390 is going to be night and day.

G

·
0 Posts
Why not just go with a 351w? You have so many options to upgrade with and 400 HP is very easy.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why not just go with a 351w?

<hr></blockquote>

Well, the main reason is seeing as how it's as "S" code coupe, and also not a GT, it seems like it would be rare enough to restore correctly.

Knowing its all correct would be great, but i suppose leaving the lights in a trail of tiresmoke would push that out the window /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It's an option, and i havent 100% made up my mind yet. I posted a few similar questions in the past and most are of the opinion that a 351W would be the better option.

Right now, all i see is "400 HP" written in text, i have no idea what that would BE like.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with doing a 351W upgrade; use aluminum heads and intake, and ceramic coated shorty headers then it will be lighter than the 289 and more powerful than a 390. Done right it will purr like a kitten (or tiger) and eat an occasional C-5 Corvett* and all the Boxter S's you can find.

The bonus is you get to use pretty much all the 289 parts like motor mounts, fuel eccentric, bell housing, etc. to accessory brackets, pullys, etc.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
We need to review the difference between "rare" and "desireable" ... you know there's probably a guy somewhere saying how rare his lime gold coupe with red interior is ...

see what I mean. Everyone likes to think they have struck gold, what you really have is a '68 coupe (how many of those were built) that originally came with a dog of a motor (the 390)... why go back to that?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all Jay, what your talking about there has almost no relevance to my question whatsoever. BUT, on that note, there are MANY people here who take great pride in their cars, no matter how 'undesireable' that may be in another persons eyes.

Lets look at the stats for a second:

'68 coupes built: 249,447
'68 coupes built with a 390 : approx 3,000

How many had 289's for example? more than 100,000 i believe.

It may not be a Shelby, or Boss or whatever you consider to be highly desireable, but i sure as hell love it.

Gary

---------

OK, it had SOME relevance..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Jay, Please elaborate on 'dog of a motor'. Is this a muscular, energetic dog or a fat, sleepy dog?
Or does it just smell bad when you get it wet?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Go "back" to the 390. As you pointed out, there are many C-code 289 coupes running around, but few S-codes--coupe or otherwise. I say let someone else put the 400hp 351W in one of the C-codes and recreate your big block car.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Go "back" to the 390. As you pointed out, there are many C-code 289 coupes running around, but few S-codes--coupe or otherwise. I say let someone else put the 400hp 351W in one of the C-codes and recreate your big block car.

<hr></blockquote>

THANK YOU! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Think what Jay's saying is about 2900 of those 3000 would have to see the crusher before you'd see any "I gotta have it,no matter what the price!" kinda demand. Not that its putting down your car in any way.... Just build what you'll enjoy and can afford..........

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hello gary i have 2 390gts but on my 69 mach there is a warmed up 351w it lighter and can make more power and is very driveable i will also be fitting a 351w in 68 gt350 clone your car might be rare but consider the fuel costs for us guys in u.k 390gt will get you around 11-13 mpg.the 351w or 302 stroked to 347 lots of power and a joy to drive.regards javed

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Either way, its hardly a daily driver (less than 30 miles this year) so fuel economy isnt a factor.

Maybe its just me, but i dont CARE about rareness, or value.

The car is a 68 390 coupe. Why not just put it back that way is what i think.

Gary

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I think I'd go with the 390 because the S code wasn't very common. Of course, I'd make sure the rest of the car was restored back to original specs as well.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
I understand your thinking totally. My current car is 'the way it was', the good, bad, ugly and all. My next will be how I would have had it built, even if the things weren't available at the time. I hope to keep them both and not have to decide. Do what you want, you can always change it later. Enjoy those 30 miles. *G*

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You should do it the way you want without a doubt. If it had a 390 and you want a 390, go for it. It will be a nice thing to see it put back the way it was. And for all those people who say its ONLY a coupe......what wrong with them? I have a red 68 coupe and it gets looks from EVERYONE when I take it out for a drive. Thats BEFORE bodywork and paintjob! Also, there are some people who don't look at how much money a car is worth when they decide to restore it. Restorations are a labor of love, anyone who does them will tell you that.
Aaaahhhh. That felt good! Thanks for letting me vent. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amen!

Well said.

Gary

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
As the owner of a 1968 coupe and a 390 (not in the same car, of course), I say go for the 390! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 30 Posts