Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drug home this 1967 GT 390 4 speed that has been sitting for a couple of years and before I attempt to fire it up, I want th change the plugs and oit, etc. Anyway, what is the best way to change the plugs? Do i have to pull the engine, or just unbolt the mounts and jack it up. I ain't no stinkin' novice, just new to 390 Mustangs.
Thanks for any info
Tom

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Does it still have the thermactor tubes? If it does, you'll be swearing. If not, a long extension and a flex make it pretty easy from the top

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no thermactor tubes, hooker headers. I got the pass. side ok( with optional swearing). I think I can get the front and rears on the drivers side, but the center two?No way.
By the way, an oit is a high performance option available only in 1967

·
Registered
506 Posts
Previous answer is right, long extension and a flex, sometimes a length of rubber hose that will fit over the porcelin (sp) of the spark plug is a help installing the plug. You have to have your mind in the right to change them. Use to own a 67 with 390 that I dragged raced and had problems with one of the plugs and had to change it between rounds # 8,
I remember the heat from the motor well.
Have fun,

Jim V
69Chop1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, that's what i used on the pass side. I guess I'll just have to suck it up.
OK, everybody ready? we're goin in.....

Thanks,
Tom

1967 GT Fastback S code 390, close ratio toploader 4 speed
Just bought it this week; been sitting for 2 1/2 years down in Kentucky. Can't wait to get this bad boy on the street

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just changed all 8 on my 427, every single one with a 3/8 flex and an 18 inch extension, and mine's air conditioned too. You can do it baby!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have a 390 4 speed with headers as well in my 67 and the swearing part is not optional it is required. Have to agree with Jim V. if your mind is not in the right place walk away. If you decide to change the headers, the passenger is easy....if you want to change the driver's and avoid any unnecessary swearing and stress you need to yank the motor. just an FYI.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
You can get all eight out without having to unbolt the mounts. It ain't easy, but it can be done. Good advise from Darrell, if it gets too frustrating - walk away and go back at it later.

Looking forward to seeing the car. I'm still kicking myself for selling mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After walking away a few times and muttering to myself, I did it. Looking at it, it just didn't seem possible. While working on it, I was thinking about back in the day(1967) putting a clutch in a '65 outside in the winter in a gravel parking lot. It sure is nice having a heated garage, makes the job a lot easier. Of course, then I tried to start it, and found I was getting any gas. Turned out to be the carb needed rebuilding,did that, tried again:
and got the 'ol familiar click. Shut down the garage, went in and ordered all new electrical stuff: batt cables, sol, volt regulator and alt harness. Played this game two years ago with our '59 Ford (390, 3 speed on the column - what a great car that is) Now just waiting for the parts to come in. I'm sure the starer will be bad, too. When we picked the car up, it had two 'extra' starters in the trunk, a sure sign of starter problems.Thinking about getting one of the mini, high torque starters and gettin' it over with.
Thanks for the encouragement

·
Registered
620 Posts
390 Plug Change

I also just hold my breath and go in on my 68 Fastback Gt with the 390. The passenger side is a breeze to change but the drivers side is a real bear. If I remember right I also took the drivers fron tire off and went in throught the wheel well to get at a few. I have the stock exaust and no headers so a little more room but not much

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to change my plugs too and was wondering if anyone came across a SST from Ford to change plugs on 390s. Maybe it would be wort the investment. My427, are you talking about a flex extension or a universal joint and an extension?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I use a universal joint and an 18 inch extension. I also recommend real good ones that will be tight enough to not flop around. I have Snap-on stuff, but any decent one should work.

If its floppy and you cant guide, it, I imagine it would be MUCH more difficult to reach in there (so to speak LOL)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So with the difficulty of changing the plugs considered. Would it be better to put premium plugs in or standard plugs? I'm thinking I want to put platinum or iridium plugs in because I'm not going to want to do this again for awhile. That is the general statement for 390s, in my paricular engine I have a Wolverine cam so I am going to put in a plug with a lower heat number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts