Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy is doing a '68 390 S code fastback. He is having problems getting clearance between the damper and the sway bar. We were at a show checking the big block cars, and saw a fully restored '67 S code with no damper on the front of the crank? Has anyone else ever seen this before? I thought all V8's needed to run a damper?
Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Could it be hiding behind a massive pulley? One thing I know about the 390 is it is neutral balanced so theoretically it could run without one but I would think it would need something for the crank pulley to bolt on.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm not sure where the change occured, but 390's came with a damper that's a pulley as well as being a damper, and as such doesn't look like the dampers that most people are accustomed to, and depending on options could have had an even bigger pulley setup bolted to it so that you wouldn't see it at all. I don't think they started using the thick (1" or so) style damper until 68 or 69. Where is the sway bar having clearance issues? Is it the stock setup?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I seen a mustang like that one time, a 390 with no damper? I just thought someone had left it off?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
your friend has the wrong sway bar. 68's used the 1" thick damper. and no you cannot delete the damper. some 67's had a pulley/damper combo so thats probably what you saw.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. He bought the car in pieces with the block out. It is a '68 S code 4 speed fastback. He is almost finished and the block is in, but he can't get the swaybar on because the damper is in the way. How can you tell a small block swaybar from a big block bar?
Paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts