Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I finally started my 3g installation today. A couple of things. First, per FordFuelInjection.com

You need to connect the single wire left on the harness to a wire that is HOT with the key in RUN. Ford has used a Green/Red wire on their vehicles for over 50 years. So it’s simple to find that wire that went to the old alternator and use it now.
Uhhh...I'm not seeing a green/red wire anywhere that went to my old alternator...or hanging off the starter solinoid...or in the engine bay period.

So...where do I connect that wire. It comes from the "i" terminal on the alternator. (Rightmost wire below)

http://fordfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/3Galternator06.jpg

Secondly...I got the wiring harness along with the used alternator. It seems to be plenty long and then some to make all my connections. Do I just unhook my old alternator harness and put it with the old alternator in a box...or does it need to stay in place in the engine bay?

Thanks for any advice!

Phil

·
Registered
816 Posts
you can undo your factory harness, but will find it easier to just tuck it up into the front valance. Least thats what I did, with excellent results.

as far as that mystery green/red wire, just hook it to your solenoid post on the switched ignition wire. Thats all I had to do for mine. Actually, thats the only wire I hooked up, and the alternator works perfect. those other 2 were just capped off.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You'll find it (or a reasonable facsimile) at your old voltage regulator connections) One of those 4 wires is only hot in the key 'on' position. Thats the one you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts