Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mixing tip won't even stay on the end of the 2 part tubes. It is supposed to snap onto the 2 part tips but it just falls off. For how much I spent on this and the dispensing tool, I would have expected more from 3M than this.

The only thing I can think of is to super glue the tip onto the screw on cap but then I have to use the whole tube at one shot. The second mixing tip is not usable unless I can some how pry the old tube loose and glue another new one on.

Maybe I was supposed to insert the mixing tube into the screw on cap? I guess I will go try that. If anybody else has a solution or a better solution to this please let me know.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't show putting the mixing tip on but there is a set up of 08515 on the bench and it doesn't have this orange plug thing on it which is what is causing my problems. The orange plug in the 2 part nozzle endlooks like a material separator so this stuff doesn't blend at the top of the tube and glue itself together just sitting in the tube. I removed it, put the mixing tip down in the screw on cap and it screwed on.

I am guessing that this orange thing is just for storing the adhesive but in the absence of instructions I guess I will call 3M tomorrow to be sure.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'm guessing your setup doesn't look like this?

this one is pretty fool proof.

That is what I have except my tube of 08515 has this orange plug thing in the end and then the cap is screwed down over that. It does appear that it is a 2 part separator to keep the stuff inside there from mixing at the top of the tube and plugging the thing up if you only use part of the whole tube.

You can see it in the photo. It is trivial but my screw on cap is opaque where yours is white. They obviously changed a couple of things. It took me a bit to figure out that the black band was intended to clip to the tube and go in the dispenser but I did get that. I've never used this stuff before and the lacking of directions on the trivial part of putting the stuff in the dispenser properly required producing a few new brain cells.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Unscrew cap
Remove orange piece
Put cap over nozzle
Screw cap back onto the tube
When done, just leave the nozzle on. It’s a one time use thing. The adhesive will set in the nozzle but the adhesive will be fine. Next time, unscrew cap and put on a new nozzle and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can dispense the product onto a clean piece of scrap metal and mix by hand for smaller jobs. Most adhesives I've used has hand mixing instructions on the labels. I wouldn't want to mix enough to stick an entire roof skin on, but for small repairs its nice.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,405 Posts
I had similar issues with the dispenser of a different brand. It would leak one side and cause me to waste some. Stuff is too expensive for that. I gave up on the "mixing tubes" and just pumped it out and hand mixed it like any other epoxy. Worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts