Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing that video Mercury Comet crash, you know the one, and the guys mouth after he hit the dash, I figured it was time. I didn't think I'd like it, but I gotta tell you, feels so much more secure with that shoulder belt. Keeps you in place in a good driving position. And the belt retracts, instead of getting shut in the door like the lap belt did. Not concours or original or anything, but improves the car for cruising so I'm happy I did it. We spend a lot on power disc brakes and upgraded steering and suspension for safety, and sometimes forget the simple and effective.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
I would seriously consider '68+ seats with locking seat-back.....
Those are a good idea for a frontal collision, won't make much difference because of the direction of inertia in a rear collision, are pretty weak by modern standards in either case.
What's your opinion on using a grade 5 or higher threaded rod versus a bolt for the adjusting stud on a 65-67 seat back and modifying the seat bottom so the back could be secured by threading a nut on it from underneath, or the rod being drilled for a heavy duty pin for a rear seat access release? Just postulating...

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
1,152 Posts
I'll be adding those to my car shortly and for the exact same reason. I spent a lot of money upgrading my car, but never put seatbelts in it. After seeing that Mercury crash I realized lap belts are not enough.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,436 Posts
I'm no expert but as low as those are it looks like a spinal injury waiting to happen....

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I'm no expert but as low as those are it looks like a spinal injury waiting to happen....
That's a popular opinion it seems. It didn't stop millions of convertibles on the road from mounting them that low though. including Ford in the foxbody Mustangs, 1983 Mustang Convertible:

I am sure the mounting height is not ideal....but if the OEMs did it in any number of different convertible models, that screams to me that the possible injuries from eating the steering wheel were worse than a less-than-ideal mounting height. The liability from lawsuits would ensure that they were ok. Use the door latch as a reference point and you can see the mounting height is nearly identical. The most functional mounting point would indeed be higher....but I wouldn't hesitate to run the low mounting point myself. I doubt anyone is willing to sacrifice 2 classic mustangs to find out definitively anyway.

As for locking seat backs....extra weight going forward makes a difference....but regardless of whether the seat back locks or not if the shoulder belt is latching it won't overwhelm the seat belt(though it may cause your ribcage to compress needlessly I guess). Seems like a modification of some type to make them lock is a good idea.(That is one advantage to swapping to later seats...they are virtually all locking and reclining)

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Have been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing that video Mercury Comet crash, you know the one, and the guys mouth after he hit the dash, I figured it was time. I didn't think I'd like it, but I gotta tell you, feels so much more secure with that shoulder belt. Keeps you in place in a good driving position. And the belt retracts, instead of getting shut in the door like the lap belt did. Not concours or original or anything, but improves the car for cruising so I'm happy I did it. We spend a lot on power disc brakes and upgraded steering and suspension for safety, and sometimes forget the simple and effective.
I have the same install in my "vert" and have been pleased with it for 15+ years. It just feels right!

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,436 Posts
The difference is engineering and testing. One got it, one didn't. The difference in the two pics is enough to scare me from it. Just the way the seat belt lays on the side of the seat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The difference is engineering and testing. One got it, one didn't. The difference in the two pics is enough to scare me from it. Just the way the seat belt lays on the side of the seat.
The mounting point does look low from the picture. But when im in the seat, the belt comes up and over my shoulder nicely, and the belt lays across my chest like it should. Im definitely no expert, but it feels like it sits right to hold me in place properly.
Im about 5' 10". Im guessing if youre much over 6', it might not work as well. But then again, a lot of things in the 60's probably werent built for someone with some height either.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Which kit did you go with? Can you post a link please?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,436 Posts
Possible spinal injury vs. impaled by steering column. 🤷‍♂️
I wish I had the pictures of my dad's 67 Ranchero that he got hit head on in by a semi.... pushed over a 100 feet in the opposite direction he was going..... no steering column impalment.....

And improperly mounted seat belts can turn a fender bender into a serious, life altering injury. But you do you.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,436 Posts
The mounting point does look low from the picture. But when im in the seat, the belt comes up and over my shoulder nicely, and the belt lays across my chest like it should. Im definitely no expert, but it feels like it sits right to hold me in place properly.
Im about 5' 10". Im guessing if youre much over 6', it might not work as well. But then again, a lot of things in the 60's probably werent built for someone with some height either.
If your shoulder is above the seat back, it's gonna be what's taking the load in a collision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts