Vintage Mustang Forums banner

3pt Seatbelt upgrade

702 17
Have been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing that video Mercury Comet crash, you know the one, and the guys mouth after he hit the dash, I figured it was time. I didn't think I'd like it, but I gotta tell you, feels so much more secure with that shoulder belt. Keeps you in place in a good driving position. And the belt retracts, instead of getting shut in the door like the lap belt did. Not concours or original or anything, but improves the car for cruising so I'm happy I did it. We spend a lot on power disc brakes and upgraded steering and suspension for safety, and sometimes forget the simple and effective.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,730 Posts
I'm no expert but as low as those are it looks like a spinal injury waiting to happen....

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,730 Posts
The difference is engineering and testing. One got it, one didn't. The difference in the two pics is enough to scare me from it. Just the way the seat belt lays on the side of the seat.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,730 Posts
Possible spinal injury vs. impaled by steering column. 🤷‍♂️
I wish I had the pictures of my dad's 67 Ranchero that he got hit head on in by a semi.... pushed over a 100 feet in the opposite direction he was going..... no steering column impalment.....

And improperly mounted seat belts can turn a fender bender into a serious, life altering injury. But you do you.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,730 Posts
The mounting point does look low from the picture. But when im in the seat, the belt comes up and over my shoulder nicely, and the belt lays across my chest like it should. Im definitely no expert, but it feels like it sits right to hold me in place properly.
Im about 5' 10". Im guessing if youre much over 6', it might not work as well. But then again, a lot of things in the 60's probably werent built for someone with some height either.
If your shoulder is above the seat back, it's gonna be what's taking the load in a collision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts