Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes I have one one my 64 1/2 at the bottom of the back window. Very thin LED one. These are mandatory on all fresh imports registered here regardless of age.

Here's a pic

GB

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wiring will require running a wire from the brake light switch under the dash, Wire color (Green with Red stripe) to the third brake light. *

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I have considered this, but want one that is subtle and just don't like the looks of them much on classics anyway.

I have been trying to think of a spot that is very inconspicuous for a small one. If I do it, it won't be LED.

I just think that the 3rd brake light package tray is ugly.

If you put one in the package tray or rear window, you wouldn't have to run a wire to the switch. You could just tap into the brake lights.

To improve brake light visibility, I went with the Scott Drake deluxe sequential tail lights. If you don't want sequential, you can always just use the 3 bulb assembly for brighter lights.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
A number of years ago, I installed the third light on 3 of our family's 65-66 Mustangs. The installation was simple and the light mounted on the rear package shelf. The diode logic module that powered the unit was about 2x2x1 and went in the trunk. The center light only came on when both rear brake lights came on. Thus, it did not illuminate with the turn signal. Seemed to work OK and minimized the tailgating when coming up to a stop.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got an assembly from a first generation Fusion and adapted that for use in my 65 coupe. As I have LED sequential tail lights I ran the wire from the brake switch.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Not a joke - They really help

uh,....you're kidding, right!?
Absolutely not a joke - they are required on all new cars and have been for several years. Why did you think the question was not serious? Just curious.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,664 Posts
I robbed a 1998 or so S10 Blazer of it's roof-mounted third light. What caught my eye is that it's slim, about a foot long. and most importantly, black when the light is off.
I haven't mounted it but have trial fit it on my '67 coupe. When I put it on it will be on the rear package tray just peeping over the rear window weatherstrip. I looked at screing it to the underside of the roof the same way which hid it even better but I could see it a bit too well in my rear view mirror. I haven't completely decided yet though. Either way looks to be pretty stealthy. '66's having a different back glass area might make this particular light fit better or worse, I couldn't say.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I got an assembly from a first generation Fusion and adapted that for use in my 65 coupe. As I have LED sequential tail lights I ran the wire from the brake switch.
Do you happen to have a picture of that? (from the inside of the car, I mean.) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I know your question was about 3rd brake light, but if you haven't but LED's in yet, these might be a good option. I just got the '67-68 set and they appear very well made.

65-66 LED TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY - EACH

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I really prefer the 3 bulb incandescent setup. If you do go with LED tail lights, get the Mustang Project ones. The look so much better than the others since they have more smaller LEDs and you keep your lenses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts