Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I have seen some posts regarding going from a C4 to a 4spd.

I currently have a 3spd w/ 3:00:1 axle ratio and am considering installing a 4spd toploader.

Has anyone else done this before? Is it as easy as pulling the 3spd and installing the 4 spd? Are there any parts, etc. that also need to be changed out? Is it difficult?

Thanks for the info.

Eric

G

·
ive never done it but was thinking of doing it. this is what ive discovered - it drops right in - i almost did it but Johnnys mustang flaked and didnt bring it down. now im opting for a tremec conversion soon as i gots the cashola.
PS be sure to find out the spline of the output shaft and get a yoke to match. that may be the only difference.
Corpus Christi TX<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shutupanddrive on 04/20/01 05:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did it, a straight swap no mods (except you will need a new shifter of course). Beware that there are two types of 4sp (differing diameter input shafts), you need the lesser size one to be the same as the 3 spd.

69 Sportsroof, 351C, 4spd toploader, Restomod BOSS 429 clone - the one and only (?) 1969 BOSS 351

http://home.swbell.net/boss351/mustang/boss1.jpg
http://stangnet.cardomain.com/user/adamg69

·
Registered
391 Posts
Go for a T-5 or Tremec 3550, both with overdrive. I have a toploader and will change to a Tremec 3550 for the overdrive.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I want to do this also on a '67 what are the price ranger for toploader and for t5 or tremec?

John

[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>
[color:red]71 coupe 302 2v C4

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
keep in mind also there are different tailshaft lenghts on toploaders also..i bought 1 for my 65 to go from auto. to 4sp.it short shaft..prob from torino.falcon, comet,et. prob benchseat car.///be sure to get correct trans.. i didnt know now i do....

neverending

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Actually, there are three different toploader input shafts that I know of. There is the big block HD input shaft which is visually larger than the more prevalent small block's input. However, there are two types of the smaller shafts. One is made for a 390 cu in engine and has a shorter snout for the pilot bearing. I have read where this shorter shaft box will not work well (or at all) behind a small block.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

G

·
The speedo cable enters the tranny on the opposite side, so while the original cable might work, it might need to be fastened in different places or something. Also the driven gear for the speedo is different, I think.

·
Registered
21,559 Posts
Different speedometer cable and different speedometer driven gear. It's a LH pitch instead of the RH pitch used on the C4 or 3 speed. The cable gets routed differently too. It goes through the floor tunnel near the gas pedal. Pull the carpet back and you'll see a small dimple. That's where you drill a new hole. I used a 7/8" unibit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts