Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I replace my 2-barrel carb with a 4-barrel? Currently have a 1964.5 260 V8 engine. Not a bit unclear online whether I can do that, but if so, what my options might be. Thanks all

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
You would need to change the intake also, but I don't think you'll see a whole lot of gain if any.....what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
20,377 Posts
I thought the factory only offered the 260 with a 2V carb. Which cars got a 260 4V?

I’m wrong on that. I know Shelby was running a 4V carb on the first Cobras with 260’s. I was assuming he was using factory manifolds. Looks like all production 260’s were 2V 164 hp.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Wouldn't the 289 manifolds fit? That opens up a whole lot of options.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Can I replace my 2-barrel carb with a 4-barrel? Currently have a 1964.5 260 V8 engine. Not a bit unclear online whether I can do that, but if so, what my options might be. Thanks all
the nice thing is that anything that fits the 289/302/5.0 also fits the 260, and the rarer 221 SBFs as well. so go ahead and put a four barrel carb on that 260.

They were available with a 4 barrel from the factory. I’d stick with no more then about 400 cfm along with dual exhaust
good advice, i would also add to use either an edelbrock performer or a weiand action plus intake, since they were made for stock and mild engines.

as for a carb, holley make a nice 390cfm carb that would be just about perfect for a stock 260, the autolite 480cfm carb and the edeelbrock 500cfm performer carbs are also just right for this engine.

if you plan to use aftermarket heads on this motor, the AFR165s are the perfect choice, along with a small tube header, say a 1 1/2" primary tube, but no bigger than 1 5/8".

for a cam if you go that far i suggest the comp cams h260he grind. good power, not too big, and perfect for the street.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Engine is still a 260. Was looking to add a bit more horsepower is all, but didn't want to get too far "down the road" with this project if it wasn't possible or practical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 289 4V intake will do perfectly. Best to go with the C4OE-9425-B casting as it was used on the 64 Comets and early 64½ Mustangs. You can also used the C5OE-9425-A dated in May and June 64. This will be a direct swap for your 260 intake. Others will work as well, but could have different temperature senders, thermostat housings, or machining. The perfect 4V carb is 1.08 C4GF (stay away from the 1.12 C4GF's) and any C5ZF 4V. These were the best 4Vs ever produced. The 4V carb sits 1/4" more forward than the 2V, but you can easily adjust for that. This setup works equally well on the 221. There is a mismatch in intake runners with the 260/221 heads (4V intake larger), but will cause no problems. The 4V will wake up the 260 and make the engine pull harder in all rpm ranges. Fuel economy only affected to the degree of your lead foot.

For those who don't know, there is a new PDF version of "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8, 1962-1969" available at www.fordsmallblock.com. You can read all about it there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts