Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Booking a trip to the pacific northwest for July. Right now all 3 of my boys are on board (although that might slip to 2 before the trip). Plan is to fly out and rent a car. For the same price as a mini-van I can rent a 4 door Jeep Wrangler that says it seats 5.

I've never been in a Wrangler.

Would it be OK for 5 people? Over 7 days we're going to be traveling from the airport to Olympic National Park, then north on the ferry to Victoria (Vancouver Island, BC), then back to Seattle by ferry then down to Mount Rainier NP, then back to the airport...so not really any marathon days of driving....but we will have luggage.

I guess it boils down to it would be more fun to have a jeep....but not sure if there's enough room.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Fun to have the jeep? Only if you plan on doing jeep things. 3 wide is gonna be tight, even at your sons sizes, not to mention those guys need some leg room and it just aint there even in the 4 door. Spring for a bigger SUV if you can, it'll be worth it to not dread getting back in the car each time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ditto what redneck said. A buddy of mine has one, and I am not a fan. Especially on the few occasions I have ridden in the back seat (I’m 5’10” and a little more filled out 185lbs). Three across in the back, even slim guys, would be miserable. Add to that you wont have room for luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
I have a new Gladiator. The cab is pretty much the same as the Wrangler Unlimited. While it has more room than any other midsize truck, I'm thinking it would be tight for the rear passengers considering how big your boys are. The Wrangler Unlimited has some cargo space behind the rear seats, but not nearly as much as a minivan.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Remember that great line the sleazy car salesman uses from the Griswolds family vacation, "you think you hate it now but wait till you drive it" Go rent that jeep from enterprise for a few days and see what you think. My money is on the minivan!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I daily a Jeep JKU and it would be rough for three back there. The other issue is that the backseat is really vertical and many folks don’t find it comfortable. But it’s much more fun to drive than a mini-van, so I say your sons’ discomfort is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I'd pass over the Wrangler and go with the van or a Tahoe, even a Grand Cherokee wouldn't be that bad for 5. My wife and I rented a Cherokee TrailHawk to drive through the Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, down route 66, through the dessert and into California. I really enjoyed the Cherokee (rode and handled nice), but it might be a little small for 5 too.

My mom's daily is a 4 door JK and I have a couple friends with them. 4 is OK for short trips, but 5 people with 7 days, probably wouldn't be fun for the boys and you'll probably wish you had more cargo space with the Wrangler.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
We rented one in Hawaii; the wiff, 2 daughters, and me. The girls are all roughly 5'6" and 135 lbs each, but managed to fill up the back seat pretty well with their stuff- 3 boys would be a squeeze. We took ours to an 'inaccessible' green sand beach- beat the dogsnot out of the undercarriage on all the trails, almost got high centered twice, and probably used half the rubber on the rocks... it was friggin' awesome!! lol! You might enjoy it for 1 day, but for any longer I'd go big or stay home...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts