Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a question for someone who has ever converted their front drums to discs and have retained the original for lug wheels. I was going to use Scarebird but they say it won't work with the original wheels as my backspace is 3 1/2 inches. Just wondering if anyone has used this setup? I have a 1966 convertible with 200 six and 4 lug 14 inch wheels. Thanks, Kim

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,154 Posts
LOL, to build off the epic post by @swooshdave. What are you trying to gain by switching to discs? Properly built and adjusted Drums work as well for most situations.

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to keep it pretty much original but want a safer braking system. I already installed a dual master cylinder, and today installed a power booster, both easy to return to stock, (not sure who would) Car is a very nice driver, not a show car. I will bleed the brakes tomorrow, and see how the power drum brakes work and I may just leave it at that. I only use the car for local cruises and shows, so yes drums may work just fine. Thanks, Kim

·
Registered
1967 Convertible
676 Posts
I want to keep it pretty much original but want a safer braking system. I already installed a dual master cylinder, and today installed a power booster, both easy to return to stock, (not sure who would) Car is a very nice driver, not a show car. I will bleed the brakes tomorrow, and see how the power drum brakes work and I may just leave it at that. I only use the car for local cruises and shows, so yes drums may work just fine. Thanks, Kim
Yeah, for that kind of stuff the drums are just fine.

·
Registered
10,101 Posts
I have a friend with a private shop that has done 2 or 3 of those Scarebird conversions. By the time you address
the anemic caliper plate/bracket that they supply, you've got some serious time & effort into it. I've seen that fab-work
taking place at his shop.
From what I've heard from him, it does fit with "some" OE wheels....... I definitely cannot expertly identify which ones
though. If I get an exact answer, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I installed the Scarebird front disc’s on my wife’s 66. We use it at as DD sometimes, throw the two kids and dog in there and off to the beach, etc. The goal was to modernize it and make it safer/easier to just hop in and drive. Front drums work, but IMO discs are less maintenance and provide a safer, more consistent stopping force, especially in panic situations (which is really when we need our brakes the most!).

She has the stock 14” rims with hub caps and I had to do two things to get them to fit; ground down a small ridge on the outer edge (or was it the top?) of the caliper, and take a BFH to the inside of the wheel where the center “spokes” are welded to the inside of the rim. Each wheel (maybe original, maybe not) had to have four sections, where the metal stuck out that had to be hammered flat against the inside of the rim. I’ll see if I can find a picture of where I had to whack it.

But aside from that, it’s a pretty straight forward install on a stock Mustang. I don’t know what kind of mods to the bracket would be needed or why, but the parts kit I got works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts