Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early (Feb) 65 6 cylinder 200ci manual 3 speed;manual drum brakes with 4 Lug 15" wheels.

What I would like to do is upgrade to front AND rear disc brakes. Through my limited knowledge and research I have found basically two options. Keep the 4 Lug style or go for the 5 Lug conversion. My reasoning for a 5 lug conversion would be if down the line I decided to upgrade the engine. I understand this will require much more modifications to the rear end and would require new wheels and tires.

What are peoples thought on 4 vs 5 Lug disc brakes?

I have found some but would much appreciate links to complete 4 Lug disc brake kits that include everything.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I don't think you're gonna find any disc brakes that will allow you to keep the same 4 lug bolt pattern. IMO your best bet is to switch to an explorer rear. You can find them with lsd and disc brakes. It takes some Fab work but nothing serious.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,933 Posts
I recall that one of the Supporting Vendors on this website, CSRP, was putting together a front disc brake kit for the 4 lug 6 cylinder cars.
Classic Services Restoration Parts
I don't see it on the website so call and ask about it.

As to the rear disc conversion, good luck. It is widely agreed that disc brakes are totally cosmetic on the rear of Mustangs. The factory drum brakes are more than sufficient.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Do the five lug conversion if you want disc brakes. The Kelsey-Hayes setup (I got mine from CSRP) is really good and original to our cars for the front.

Classic Services Restoration Parts

For the rear, I'd try to just get an 8" axle that has drum brakes. Or, if you can't find an axle with brakes, I see no reason to then go out and buy drum brake stuff (even though, as pointed out, rear discs are not a significant brake upgrade on these cars) since rear disc brake kits are cheap.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1965/make/ford/model/mustang/department/brake-systems?N=4294947032+4294951343+4294951333+4294947838&SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=rear disc brake kit

If you are able to find a satisfactory 4-lug disc brake setup for the front, I do see that there are kits on Summit for the 7" axle, but they're sort of expensive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you want to keep the 4-lug wheels, then do your own research about the benefits of converting the rear drums to rear discs. I believe you will find that it is not worth doing the rear. For the front, NPD has a 4-lug disc brake kit available. You can consider this one:
https://www.npdlink.com/product/disc-brake-conversion-kit-front-4-lug-single/101113?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Ddisc%252Bbrake%252Bkit%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1965&year=1965

Oops, I just noticed that kit is for A/T instead of manual. Just call NPD and discuss your project with them. They will give you accurate details.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would definitely recommend upgrading to a five lug setup if you are going to invest the time and energy. Plus, you will be ready for a V8 swap down the road. As others have mentioned, you can go with the stock Kelsey Hays up front or a new kit that will bolt up to stock V8 spindles. It might be beneficial to buy a complete used V8 style setup on Craigslist or Ebay to acquire the V8 spindles with a stock 8" rear end and keep the V8 rear drums for now. You could purchase new control arms with bushings and use your existing I6 coils for the interim. Also, I would recommend upgrading your master cylinder to a tandem unit and the discs will require a proportioning valve with some new plumbing. Luckily, for 66, the pedal box and pedals are the same for I6 and V8 cars so no change there. I guess it comes down to your budget and timeline.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would definitely recommend upgrading to a five lug setup if you are going to invest the time and energy. Plus, you will be ready for a V8 swap down the road. As others have mentioned, you can go with the stock Kelsey Hays up front or a new kit that will bolt up to stock V8 spindles. It might be beneficial to buy a complete used V8 style setup on Craigslist or Ebay to acquire the V8 spindles with a stock 8" rear end and keep the V8 rear drums for now. You could purchase new control arms with bushings and use your existing I6 coils for the interim. Also, I would recommend upgrading your master cylinder to a tandem unit and the discs will require a proportioning valve with some new plumbing. Luckily, for 66, the pedal box and pedals are the same for I6 and V8 cars so no change there. I guess it comes down to your budget and timeline.
Why in the He!! would you swap for a V8?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I just bought a complete 5 lug 8in rear end and 5 lug drum brakes for $225. All ready to bolt on.

I may swap the fronts to disc in the future, but for the price Im 4 to 5 lug and 10in vs 9in brakes for $225.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I assumed when he said "upgrade" in the context of going from 4 to 5 lugs, he was referring to an I6 to V8 swap. All good :)

I just bought a complete 5 lug 8in rear end and 5 lug drum brakes for $225. All ready to bolt on.

I may swap the fronts to disc in the future, but for the price Im 4 to 5 lug and 10in vs 9in brakes for $225.
Definitely a great and efficient way to go about it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As per OP's post #1..!? (Maybe I misunderstood also)

Quote..: "Keep the 4 Lug style or go for the 5 Lug conversion. My reasoning for a 5 lug conversion would be if down the line I decided to upgrade the engine."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I crossed this bridge... CSRP does offer a Granada style kit which they can option with a 4 lug rotor, and the advantage of that is you can do the disc brakes now, then later if you want to go 5 lug, you just spend the $100 or whatever to get the 5 lug rotors and you're good to go. The fact that you have 15" wheels you would have no clearance issues. I did this kit but have 14" US Indy Ansen Sprints. I think one caliper kinda kisses the inside of the rim. I didn't do anything other than drive it down my driveway when I did the mod, but that should be something a little touch with a file on the caliper should resolve.

I think the kit I got was SWAP.2.5/M/SLU.M but options with a 4 lug rotor...give Dennis a call, he was super helpful and supplied me exactly what I needed.

-Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have a mustang ii front suspension with 4 lug drilled rotor. i am considering converting the rear to a disk brake. I was thinking about going with an older 240sx disk rotor and then modifying a caliper and bracket to with it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an early (Feb) 65 6 cylinder 200ci manual 3 speed;manual drum brakes with 4 Lug 15" wheels.

What I would like to do is upgrade to front AND rear disc brakes. Through my limited knowledge and research I have found basically two options. Keep the 4 Lug style or go for the 5 Lug conversion. My reasoning for a 5 lug conversion would be if down the line I decided to upgrade the engine. I understand this will require much more modifications to the rear end and would require new wheels and tires.

I have found some but would much appreciate links to complete 4 Lug disc brake kits that include everything.

Thanks
So I crossed this bridge... CSRP does offer a Granada style kit which they can option with a 4 lug rotor, and the advantage of that is you can do the disc brakes now, then later if you want to go 5 lug, you just spend the $100 or whatever to get the 5 lug rotors and you're good to go. The fact that you have 15" wheels you would have no clearance issues. I did this kit but have 14" US Indy Ansen Sprints. I think one caliper kinda kisses the inside of the rim. I didn't do anything other than drive it down my driveway when I did the mod, but that should be something a little touch with a file on the caliper should resolve.

I think the kit I got was SWAP.2.5/M/SLU.M but options with a 4 lug rotor...give Dennis a call, he was super helpful and supplied me exactly what I needed.

-Rob

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts