Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible, 1966 6 cylinder convertible
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell,
Just wondering if anyone on this site uses or have used Scarebird disc brake conversion on their 6 cylinder Mustang. I am thinking of doing this, but have questions about if the stock 14 inch steel wheels will clear the calipers. The Scarebird site states if the offset is more than 3 inches they may not clear. My wheels measure just a hair over 3 inches. Hopefully someone here has used this setup or are still using it. Thanks, Kim

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Yes, The 14" wheels WILL clear the Calipers doing the SCARBIRD conversion. It gets rave reviews..especially for the price of what you shell out. The best part of it is is that YOU KNOW exactly what goes into every part if you ever need to replace a part in the future...unlike other conversions where you have no idea what pads you are using or where the caliper came from, etc. See video below... I say Do it!

Here' a guy that did it with his kid on their '65 Mustang back in 2012....Notice that he has the 14" standard steel wheels...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's exactly what I was talking about. I am in the process of adding a power brake booster and dual bowl Master Cylinder, and will install a proportion valve at the same time so if in the future I go with the Scarebird kit, I will be all ready. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,746 Posts
I’m not a fan of cobbled together, bit and pieces for a brake system. I love to save money, but not on brakes,.......

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Scarbird is a straightforward build...You'll be using "off-the-shelf calipers"...so there's really no safety being sacrificed here...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I’m not a fan of cobbled together, bit and pieces for a brake system. I love to save money, but not on brakes,.......
while the scarebird system seems cobbled together, the guys there put in the time and effort to make the system work well together. remember that the car doesnt know what name is on the parts, only that the math works out like it should. its like building a stroker motor and using small block chevy pistons in a ford block to get the right deck height.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
and by the way, we do have a number of people that used the scarebird system at fordsix with great results. one guy got his system early in the run when scarebird was still working out the bugs, mostly with the machining of new hubs, and actually helped them work out the bugs in the system with his feedback.

·
Registered
743 Posts
NEFaurora and rbohm make some good points. But I would buy some spare parts after the swap. 20 years from now you don't want to be looking for 1990 Chevy Calipers or Infinity rotors.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The Scarebird swap was great, totally recommend it for putting front disc brakes on a 4 lug Mustang. I did have very minor rubbing on the stock 14” steel rims on my swap. My wheels had a small formed lip in 3 or 4 places on each wheel that made contact with the caliper... a couple good whacks with a BFH to flatten them out some and I was good to go!

And finding replacement parts in the future I don’t think will be a problem... you can still buy stock replacement parts for our cars after all these years, so a donor vehicle from the 90’s has a 30 year head start. Now REMEMBERING what the parts and pieces came from... that’s a different story! 😉

·
Registered
922 Posts
Now REMEMBERING what the parts and pieces came from... that’s a different story! 😉
Isn't that the dig … remembering which kit and whether it's got Toyota Previa rotors, Eldorado hoses and Chevrolet Celebrity calipers and pads, or is that Mustang rotors with Eldorado hoses and Chevrolet HD Celebrity calipers and pads, or is that Infinity G20 front rotors with Chevrolet Celebrity calipers? Why do that when real, factory Ford brakes for the year of the car are available? If it's only $$$, well....

Reactions: Israel

·
Super Moderator
9,746 Posts
I’d hate to be the guy buying the car after the “upgrade”, who’s trying to ID the cobbled pieces for a basic brake job.

Actually, just being the same owner, documenting, and then safekeeping all of the different pieces would be an undertaking.

Imagine misplacing this master list of all of the cobbled pieces,.....nothing I’m interested in.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Good luck taking it to a shop for a brake job....

I have the Scarebird kit on my sons 66. It’s well built and works well, but I plan to swap to 5 lug spindles and use the KH Ford parts to avoid all the long term issues discussed above. Plus I then have so many more choices for wheels!

·
Registered
35,493 Posts
Isn't that the dig … remembering which kit and whether it's got Toyota Previa rotors, Eldorado hoses and Chevrolet Celebrity calipers and pads, or is that Mustang rotors with Eldorado hoses and Chevrolet HD Celebrity calipers and pads, or is that Infinity G20 front rotors with Chevrolet Celebrity calipers? Why do that when real, factory Ford brakes for the year of the car are available? If it's only $$$, well....
Because there were no factory disc brakes for six cylinder Mustangs. Therefore, no factory style parts.

I'm the first to advocate OEM-style upgrades, but for the 65-70 4-bolt six-cylinder Mustangs, it isn't possible.

The Scarebird setup is OEM parts, just not Mustang OEM. My hat is off to the folks who must have waded through hundreds of parts to work out this simple conversion.

The hardest part of the conversion is the wheel hubs. You either machine the stock hubs to the needed diameter, or buy the Scarebird replacement. Stock rotors, stock calipers, and stock hoses, with the Scarebird caliper brackets complete the conversion. Stock 65 wheels will do, and since the spindles aren't disturbed, you save hundreds not replacing the wheels or have alignment done.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The Scarebird setup fills a huge void for those with 6 cylinder Mustangs. As 22GT stated, there was no OEM disc setups for the sixes, and the alternative using OEM parts to convert to disc would be a HUGE undertaking (spindles, wheels, rear axle, etc). All ya gotta do is keep a piece of paper in the glove box with the detailed list of non stock donor parts and you will be good to go.

I would much rather use oddball OEM parts than purchase a ready made “kit” comprised of undisclosed part sources. A lot of companies that put together the kits for you don’t last forever, and with it goes your replacement parts. Obviously going to OEM parts for the vehicle would be best, but if the OEM never made the parts to begin with, you are forced to customize one way or another.

·
Registered
922 Posts
All ya gotta do is keep a piece of paper in the glove box with the detailed list of non stock donor parts and you will be good to go.
Keep it safe, and laminate it! Cheers.

Reactions: daveoxide

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did the Scarebird mod last fall and it works great. I paired it with a dual bowl mc and proportioning valve. I put the spec sheet in my binder with all the other car facts so I'll never forget what parts came from what car. Its not terribly hard to source the parts, I just ordered them a few days before I needed them. Here are some pics Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the setup or install.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just looked on the Scarebird site last night and I do not see the hubs they once sell. I emailed their tech department, waiting to hear if their hubs are available. If not exactly how much machining of my hubs are needed? Is it just grinding a bit? or do they need to go to a machine shop?

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
"Now REMEMBERING what the parts and pieces came from... that’s a different story!"

That's why you keep a LOG on each car you own. I started a log back on all my cars back in the mid 1990's. I can go back and look at any car and know exactly what I did and when....Not brain surgery....Just good organization!

Reactions: CJM68GT390
1 - 20 of 22 Posts