Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm in need of tires for my 65 and currently have the original 13 inch bias ply on 4 lug rims. My question is not what size to buy (plenty of conversion charts for that) but what original style rims will fit my 65 that are larger than the 13 x 4.5 inch originals. I'd like a wider tire than the recommended 185 75s.

I'll be upgrading to a 5 lug suspension next year and don't want to spend the $$ to buy after market 4 lug alloy wheels. At least not new ones. They look great but I'll save the cash for the 5 lug upgrade.

Any suggestions for a cheap way to get larger wheels?

·
Registered
713 Posts
The steel styled and the Mag 500's 14 or 15 and 16 X 7 will fit. But, you have 4 lugs and obviously a 6 banger engine with a 6 banger suspension. You are SOL for getting some really good looking wheels until you change out that front suspension to a V8 set-up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. 6 cylinder and all that that implies. I'm looking for anything that will get me in to a larger tire. Even if I go with original hub caps from a later year it's better than what I have now.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That looks like a great resource, Todd.

Jim, I say print that list and head to a local junk yard with a straight edge and a tape measure. You can probably find a nice set of wheels with some decent tire for cheap.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts