Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a follow up post to my "Disc brake question" post. Today I bought used front disc brakes. The guy said they were from a 68' stang. I was just wondering what 68' stangs came with 4-piston calipers? I thought they were all 1 or at the most 2 piston calipers.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
As far as I know, 67 was the last year Ford put 4-caliper pistons on Mustangs. There may be some exceptions (Boss Cars?), but that was the last year I knew of.

Could those brakes possibly be from a 67?

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
68's are the single piston calipers. 67 was the last year for 4 pistons. 68 calipers are very inexpensive to purchase new, unlike buying earlier calipers which can be a bit pricey.

68 calipers new/rebuilt through Kragen $25 to $45 each plus $20 to $40 core Vs. 4 piston calipers at $105 to $197 per caliper plus same core

If you have an early 4 piston set, you should probably make sure the mounting bracket will fit the single piston calipers, I don't think it does, if so that would be an extra expense also!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In that case, I guess I have 67' 4 piston calipers. Now for the $10,000 question....... I was sold the spindles, rotors and calipers all together, will I be able to bolt this 67' or 68' spindle on to my 69' without trouble?

·
Registered
967 Posts
If they are 67's and it sounds as if they are all you will need to do is remove the caliper and the caliper bracket. Then mount them (bracket,caliper and rotor) on the 69 spindles. The drum brake V8 spindles from 65-69 are identical so they should bolt right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts