Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1967 came with the OEM front disc power brakes and rear drums, I restored it with the same setup and they work great. The car spent it's first 40 years in LA and the only part of the braking system I dint touch is the lines and proportioning valve.

Just wondering what pads and rotors combo you all recommend if I decide to swap to see if I get better braking performance? The brake pads installed are semi-metallic from mustangs unlimited.

Thanks jcs

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Many like either EBC Red pads or Porterfield R4-S. I'm running the EBC Red and they were a good upgrade to the stock pads that came with my KH kit.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Any basic rotor will be fine. Slotted are the upgrade like for lots of stop and go. Over spend if you want for longevity sake like for a Cryo treated StopTech. The directional vents are only a few bucks more. Pads are subjective to driving style, pony up for EBC or Porterfield for a better initial bite but anything will be sufficiently safe and any semi-metallic should nearly put you into the windshield a few times in a row, in my vast and braggart opinion:)
ID a deficiency you feel there is 1st. Is the pedal high and hard from the top or does it get harder after a few pumps? (giggity) Some braking action with only a slight pedal movement? Even stopping now, goes straight hands off the wheel while hard on the pedal? No sinking of the pedal to the floor, no matter how long or hard you hold it?
Have you bedded the pads/rotor well, have you re-bedded recently? They might be glazed from years of Granny footing and can be revived.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,798 Posts
If you can find some of these, I have used them on the street and now on the track. They work really well on the street with either of the aforementioned pads. Although the larger Trans-Am rotors and calipers are much better for the track, the OEM size will get you by. I removed my OEM K-H rotors and drums to same them for the next guy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any basic rotor will be fine. Slotted are the upgrade like for lots of stop and go. Over spend if you want for longevity sake like for a Cryo treated StopTech. The directional vents are only a few bucks more. Pads are subjective to driving style, pony up for EBC or Porterfield for a better initial bite but anything will be sufficiently safe and any semi-metallic should nearly put you into the windshield a few times in a row, in my vast and braggart opinion:)
ID a deficiency you feel there is 1st. Is the pedal high and hard from the top or does it get harder after a few pumps? (giggity) Some braking action with only a slight pedal movement? Even stopping now, goes straight hands off the wheel while hard on the pedal? No sinking of the pedal to the floor, no matter how long or hard you hold it?
Have you bedded the pads/rotor well, have you re-bedded recently? They might be glazed from years of Granny footing and can be revived.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, will keep my K/H style smooth rotors and look into upgrading the pads to the recommended EBC or Porterfield.

jcs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts